Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hard wood cabinets,worth the$$$?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Daffy Funk, Dec 4, 2005.

1. Daffy Funk

Daffy Funk

Nov 10, 2005
    I'm looking in to getting a cabinet and was looking around at
    companys,and some offer hardwood cabinets as an option for
    custom orders on their cabinets;is there a clear difference in
    the sound of a normal ply-wood cabinet and a hard wood
    cabinet?Is it worth the extra cost?Please let me know about
    the pros and cons,it would be a big help :)

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Hard wood is usually something that guit@rists worry about, it doesn't really effect the sound on bass.

3. Hardwood certainly influences how a cab sounds. But i think it will sound worse than good birch ply... birch is very effective in damping low frequencies. Also check out if hardwood adds weight before you order anything like this.

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Bad idea. A properly constructed bass cab should be so well braced that the panels have no flex and the material used makes no alteration to the sound. If the construction method used does result in coloration it's not a properly braced box. The situation is different for guitar, where bracing is not required, and cabinet resonances can be desirable. In that case a hardwood cab would give a brighter sound than one made of plywood, and birch plywood would be brighter than spruce.

5. Most bass players don't want the wood of the cabinet to contribute to the sound. Their may be exceptions that I'm not aware of. I would personally stay far away from a solid hardwood cabinet and stick to plywood. I would think that hardwood would have a strong overtone in the bass range that would not be pleasing to the ear.

6. I assume you're looking at the Bag Ends. Someone on this forum either has or had one of these enclosures. Wait a while to see if they chime in or trying searching (although that may be easier said than done).

Mike

7. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I agree with BFM internal bracing is more of an issue than the material of the cab. generally the thicker the plywood or wood will be more stiff and resonate less.

on the other hand some companies for some models seemed to have embrassed the box resonance and tried to integrate it into the sound and offer a lightweight/cheaper to build cab ala portabass series...

8. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004

my bass cab is made of poplar

is that good?>

9. +1