HARDCASE IS STINKING, PLS HELP.

Discussion in 'Accessories [BG]' started by Bunnoodle, Jul 30, 2020.

1. Bunnoodle

Bunnoodle

Nov 29, 2017
    All,

I got his used bass+hardcase on ebay, initially there was no smell but now the hard case is stinking so bad that I cant play my bass. I almost puked on stage the other day as the odor is now in the wood grain. What could be wrong? I checked the case, there are no dead biological life forms nor traces of bodily fluids. Is it an organic glue/solvent that has gone bad? It will not be long before the bandmates ask me to do something about it.

Thank you

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
  2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Sunlight. UV Ray's will deal with the smell almost every time. Set it out in direct sunlight.

It might take a few times to get all of the smell. But if sunlight doesn't get it I'll be shocked.

ppiluk, mcnach and saltydude like this.
  3. spufman

spufman

Feb 7, 2005
    Central CT
    Tough to get rid of the smell completely. Open in the sunlight over and over. Perfume and/or incense. Open in the sunlight over and over.

Good luck on the humid days. It's a drag, but should eventually become at least tolerable. Use a gig bag in the meantime!

4. saltydude

saltydude

Aug 15, 2011
    boston CANADA
    Yup. Sunlight and baking soda.

blastoff99, Gazman and fretlessguy like this.
  5. Bunnoodle

Bunnoodle

Nov 29, 2017
    Thank you for the suggestions. Will menthol or boric acid work? My area has been seeing a lot of rain and its been really cloudy/humid.

6. P Cheen

P Cheen Chelsea Blue is the colour! Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2015
    Sacramento, CA
    Menthol will only mask the smell, but Borax might be able to help. I think sunlight is your best bet though.
    Does the smell seem like it’s bacterial or fungal? It may also be the glue/adhesive. I know when I was a kid in the early 2000’s everyone had this soccer cleat that smelled like cat pee, years later I found out Nike tried to recall them because the adhesive they used made it smell like cat pee once it got exposed to moisture.

7. 4-fingers

4-fingers

Nov 22, 2015
    Ontario Canada
    I had a similar situation and picked up a cheap charcoal filter. It worked amazingly well. Simply left it in the case for a few days with the guitar. That was years ago and the smell did not return.

ppiluk likes this.
  8. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
    I had a similar situation. The case I febreezed a couple of times and left the case open. Or I might have thrown away the case if that didn't work.

In my case the bass smelled terrible. It was a natural oil finish. I polished it two or three times with beeswax based furniture wax and that seemed to clean it up. Also threw out the strings cause they smelled bad. Basically, the smell would permeate into my hands.

Reminded me a lot of the smelly car episode of Seinfeld.

9. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Baking soda and charcoal are commonly used to de-odor a space after a small fire.
    Non invasive and cheap to try.
    Fabreeze sounds like a good possibility assuming small residual amounts don't interact with the finish.

10. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    I don't gag, but I don't like the smell of hardshell cases. I have all mine labelled and put away now, and I have two Mono bags, and I just grab two basses and I'm ready to go.

11. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    Febreze, green apples, carbon, sunlight all can work.

12. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

I’ve eliminated cigarette odors from vehicles with a “chlorine bomb”. You can find those on eBay.

SwitchGear likes this.
  13. bobsax

bobsax

Jan 16, 2011
    Southern Oregon
    I just picked up a Copley five string acoustic bass guitar from eBay. And the soft case smells OK but the base itself smells a lot like glue or maybe stain? I will take the advice from you guys and leave it outside. I’m not sure direct sun is a good idea though?

14. Rabidhamster

Rabidhamster

Jan 15, 2014
    Ozone generators will remove the smell from pretty much anything but they aren’t safe to leave running in the “human occupancy” room while that happens. I think a closet would probably be safe, idk.

Of course you’ll want to thoroughly clean all surfaces first, removing the film is half the battle. I remove stuff like the pickguard etc because crud can work it’s way under there.

I’ve passed on a few vintage basses because I didn’t believe I’d ever get the stink out. Come to think of it everything “vintage” I’ve ever owned definitely came with its own smell.

rojo412 likes this.
  15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021