1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

hardcase problem...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by vic_6, May 13, 2006.

1. vic_6

vic_6

Dec 19, 2004
    Manila, Philippines
    ok, so i got myself a 76 jazz from a friend of mine, unfortunately, he had sold the case prior to that cuz he needed cash badly.

so, i went around looking for a vintage hardshell case to go with the bass.

i found a few but were very highly priced... i found one, a 76 case in great condition (locks still working n everything). the thing is, there's writing on the inside. A LOT of writing on the inside... very tacky stuff.

so i was wondering, is there anyway to take these writings out? the case is real nice but the stupid writing is a real deal killer...

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    If the interior is felt, just replace it. Go to a fabric store such as Joann Fabrics if there's one near you, and get new felt to match. A can of 3M aeresol spray glue and some scissors, and you're in business.

3. Maybe just me, but i would rather had a modern hardcase, the fender tweed ones are pretty cool and have that vintage vibe, to me a hardcase is to protect the bass, so its ok if the case gets a little damaged or that in the process, and i would be much more at ease with a new case taking on some damage than something i had spent a bit of money on that was older and worth something, if im making sense

But like eric said, just get the felt replaced if thats what your wanting :)

4. vic_6

vic_6

Dec 19, 2004
    Manila, Philippines
    oh, i never thought of that. haha! thanks :)

well, about the case, i think it's a very sturdy case. i have two others just like it and they've travelled quite a bit and have taken beatings and survived so im not to worried about reliability. :)

5. +1

Dave

6. vic_6

vic_6

Dec 19, 2004
    Manila, Philippines
    oh and over here, it's quite hard to get a decent/good case for decent money. most places will charge an arm and a leg for a case. and i'm quite stripped for cash right now since i just bought the jazz.

and i tried standing and walking on the case to test its durability and it seemed to take it pretty well. :) and im about 220 pounds. :)