"Hardcore' Bass sound

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SteveXDynamite, Oct 31, 2005.

1. SteveXDynamite

Sep 20, 2005
    I admit, i do not know much about amps so i was wondering if someone could help me. I have an ampeg b2re head and i'm trying to get a specific tone. Examples would be Sick Of It All, Comeback Kid, etc. the basic "hardcore" sound. Could somone please tell me what i should set my EQ to in order to get this sound? Any help would be appreciated.
  2. I'm not sure about the bands in question but I'd suggest a bit of grit in the tone (turn up the gain a little). The tone should be pretty dirty. Make sure the treble is quite present, and boost your mids just enough to be heard, without going overboard. That's just the idea of a "hardcore" tone I have from listening to bands like From Autumn to Ashes and Thrice.
  3. Dude, SOIA kick ass soo ****ing much (got my alleydragon tattoo'd last month ;) ), as do comeback kid to a much lesser extent

Anyway, i used to be in the same perdicament as you, but i was talking to Craig from SOIA, and he told me, he uses a Sansamp Bass Driver DI to get his sound, and i think comeback kid use the same pedal/preamp, i've not been able to nail his tone, but i dont have an active P/J bass atm ;)

More info, he uses the sansamp BDDI into an SVT 4 Pro for recording and GK RB700II's or (one of those models anyway when touring)

look pretty close to the bottom of that page, see a familiar name ;)

PS keep up the good taste in music

PPS I was half expecting someone to list whiney cry baby emo bands as hardcore, i am pleasantly surprised to be wrong :)
  4. playmybass

Mar 28, 2004
    Tucson, Az
    I play in a "metalcore" band, but my prefered taste of music is punk influenced hardcore. Either way, my sansamp rbi usually does it for me.
  5. SteveXDynamite

Sep 20, 2005
    Thanks for all the help so far. But for the effects pedal you guys are talking about the tech 21, do i need a poweramp to use that or can i run it through my ampeg SS head?
  6. as far as I know the RBI is a rackmountable unit, while the BDDI is a pedal, and you can use either of them with your current setup, or as a preamp for a poweramp setup.
  7. protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Stick with solid state/hybrid amps. With all the triplets thrashs you will need the detail in your notes to not come across as muddy. My 1200S really kept up well with the metal band I was in that just loved to throw out triplets to make my fingers work (finger style player playing speed metal :))

I was asked to use a pick a few times learning the riff but just gave them an evil glare and they backed off unless they wanted me to play at half speed
  8. if you can't do pick triplets with your fingers then you aren't practicing enough...

hmmm... I need to practice!
  9. protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    I never said I couldn't but every time they mentioned triplets they wanted to hand me a pick...but I have three fingers ;)
  10. You can use it into a normal amp head, its cool, thats what they do :) (sounds better that way imo too )