Hardcore kids...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by 43% burnt, May 4, 2005.

1. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Just curious who else on here is/was into hardcore. I grew up listening to HC and punk, going to shows etc.. I went to my first show in 1990, Gorilla Biscuits @ the Anthrax in Norwalk, CT. That show changed my life as I knew it. CT has always had a great scene so I was lucky to see alot of bands in the early '90s like: Supertouch, Burn, Quicksand, Into Another, Shelter, and many more.

Over the years I've watched it change. I currently play in a metal band, and we get booked on alot of hardcore shows. It's changed alot since I was a kid, I've also grown up, but it for me seems to have lost some integrity over the years. (no pun intended) The commercialization of it all has definitely had its impact. But I'm still glad there are shows for kids to got to, and our bands to play...Even if its much different than when I was younger.

Post some of your thoughts/opinons on Hardcore, bands you've seen, etc...
  2. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    thanks Smash...this should keep me bust for a while. :D

Bad Brains!! The best HC band ever.
  3. The game is always changing.

What's "old school" for you is "back in the day" for me, what's "back in the day" for me is "damn kids" for 'old timers.'

My first show was a 7 band local punk rock show at a VFW hall in 84-85.

To me there was a time when punk rock was subversive and abrasive. Real punks didn't care if they brushed their teeth. Real punks showered when they wanted to, not because they stunk. They were really nasty. Punk seems to be more about fashion now.

You know who I blame for punk becoming a commodity? REM. While REM can not be construed as 'punk' per se, they were the underground, the college rock standardbearers. When they got signed to WB or whatever Green came out on, they opened the doors for the mainstream to see the 'alternative' as marketable. Big labels were looking for the next REM or whatever. Then 2-3 years later Nirvana broke and "grunge fashion" was born, and loads of bands tried their hand at being "grunge" or "punk" or whatever. Then Green Day did their thing at re-interpreting the Descendants, making "punk" melodic and poppy.

A quick flip through AP will get to the fashion of "punk" nowadays. Black. Black clothes, black eyeliner.

I think a lot of the kids who are "punk" now would have been the kids who liked Twisted Sister when I was a kid.

I'm not saying that mainstream "punk" sucks, just that it's different than when I was introduced to it, and it's not my thing. Sort of like a dude growing up in the 70's with Zeppelin and Aerosmith thinking Bon Jovi is a lame excuse for a rock band.
  4. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    There's a good deal of fashiony hardcore out there that's getting a lot of press, which isn't my thing (girls pants and all).

A lot of the best hardcore's on the DL. Plot to Blow Up The Eiffel Tower, Some Girls, Locust, Black Cross, Combatwoundedveteran and Circle Takes the Square. There are still a lot of kids that were raised on metal and hardcore that are carrying the torch and the ethics of the scene, though they've abandoned most of the rest of the formula. No more 3-chords, in fact, in a lot of cases, no more guitars.
  5. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000

I don't know. If I like someone's music I listen to it. I really don't care if they are "Fashionable" or "Underground" or "Sellouts" or have "Integrity". Music all has to do with my pure internal experience.

.....I guess that's why I'm an existentialist. :meh:

BTW: While I'm not a huge HC fan, I like Tree, Biohazard, Merauder, and Bad Brains.
  6. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i love hardcore. i didnt get into as soon as 43%(it took me till 95 to discover punk and hardcore) but i love it.

however, i cannot support the "best hardcore band" because honestly, none of those bands are hc.

anyway, good hardcore bands(besides my own, myspace.com/flatearthsociety)

check out

once and for all
    dead hearts
    the black out
    with honor
    shere karhn
    cut throat(the one from mass)
    stop this fall

just to name a few.
  7. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Shaunearth...Didn't you guys play a show in Watertown, CT this winter w/ Shroud of Turin, What weapons bring war, and a bunch of other bands...I forget who else played.

If so, My band played that show with you guys. :D
  8. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    hall in ct, big jon booked it> was ****ty in the parking lot(the weather)?

if so, yes i remember the show. it wason our way back from canada, and it sucked for me cause my shoe had a hole in it and my socks were soaked by the time we loaded in.

i think there needs to be more networking going on with this board. i think a lot of people could get some good shows this way....
  9. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    It's partially an age and generation thing. I could type nearly the same email and substitue the date for early 80s. As mentioned, Bad Brains were big, Agnostic Front, MDC, DRI, GBH, etc, etc. The only "hardcore" band I know of now is my friends....check it out:

10. jasonc

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Hey a good thread to keep me busy...

I grew up on Gorilla Biscuits, Chokehold, Minor Threat (lots of old DC hardcore ala Teen Idles, Youth Brigade, SOA etc), Dag Nasty, Youth Of Today, and cross overs to punk rock like Black Flag, to the Germs, to Crass.

Shows in the early late 80's early 90's seemed a lot more "honest". I've played in a hardcore band from 1999-2003. I am from Cleveland, home of Integrity... it seems we'd be stuck on shows advertised as "hardcore" (when I think of this term, I think Chokehold)... Not taking away anything from the bands/shows we were on, but I'd say it was more metal - and a total different atmosphere than a decade or so ago. It's interesting to me how the word "hardcore" is now associated with spin kicks, punching people in the face, and basically doing what seems to be a mix of "kung fu" and "jazzercize". I just think, what happened to crazy stage dives and going to have fun - not to kick someones ass.

It's just evolution I guess. And i'd rather have something than nothing. But nowadays going to shows feels more like a fashion show than going for the music.

I guess a part of it is the bands fault. All style no substance.
    There are a few bands in the past 10 years or so that have blown me away.
    Los Crudos, 9 Shocks Terror, H-100's, The Swarm, Charles Bronson, Propagandhi, I Spy, Against Me!... and a handful more... I don't know where i'm going with this.

To answer your question - yeah. I like hardcore.
  11. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Yup, That was the show. The weather sucked that night. I think I missed you guys, I got lost and was late that night. I play in Fall From Grace, did you see us?

I'm always down to network, Jon just booked us for a show next week. When I see him I'll tell him to get you guys back up to CT for his next show.
  12. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I hear you man...Most of the shows we play, there are always fights. And it's never one on one. Whatever, It just sucks when good venues get closed cause of ignorant fighting.

When was the last time you saw a show where people were stagediving? Those were the days.
  13. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Fugazi *aaaah* I <3 DC
  14. Fugazi, the band that taught the world you didn't have to be "punk" to be punk. :)
  15. Hardcore's one of those genes that when you mention a "hardcore" band, all the hardcore people say "That's not hardcore!", and it turns out that no core is hard enough for the fans' standards. Is that right?
  16. The Virus - hardcore street punk/tradtional hardcore
    Casey Jones - technical hardcore/metalcorish
    Risky Business - Local hardcore favorites
    Righteous Jams
  17. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    thats because people who like hc, hate when people say "oH My gOd, DiD U sEE kOrN LaSt NigHt?!??! ThEy WeRe SOoOoOOoO HArDCoRe>..."

or bands like that. thats how it is to me anyway.

and as for "no core is hard enough for the fans' standards" most of the "hardcore" out there, isnt down tuned crap that sounds heavy. its more an attitude and less a way of playing.

lots of bands just down tune and scream and say they are "hc" when thats not what makes a band hc.
  18. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    honestly, i dont remember. when we play shows with 20 bands on them everything just kind runs together. i was having a really bad night at that show. besides my shoe having a hole in it and the parking lot being mush. i was just miserable for some reason.
  19. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    on the bridge.com message board, there is a thread with the tittle "funny dwid stories" and there is a ton of integrity/olc/chubby fresh stories.