1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hardcore Playing?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by fod, May 6, 2006.

1. fod

fod

Nov 18, 2005
    Louisivlle Kentucky
    Does anyone have any tips or opinions or anything to say at all about playing bass for a melodic hardcore band (kinda of in vein of underoath, from first to last, etc. ) I am supossed to start playing for my friends band.

2. vyse933

vyse933

Mar 31, 2006
    Grand Haven, MI
    have the bass low, play very hard with a pic, pluck by the bridge, turn your tone control all the way up, boost the mids. and on stage get really really into it..like...try to look like an idiot on stage. you might feel like an idiot, but could very well look very cool.

3. It's called metalcore. Just play like you always would, get into it.

4. if your bass is bolt-on: have the neck adjusted and play in dropped C- I have one of my basses like this and sounds great for Snapcase kind hardcore- it should sound good for what your describing. Also, If your bass is active slap on som emg pickups on that bass.

The bass I have dropped down to C is a Fender Mex deluxe, I trashed the bridge and put a Badass Bass II bridge for sustain-EMGs are on my wish list for that bass.

If it's not bolt-on I don't know what the hell to say here lol.

5. How do you recommend adjusting the neck?

6. fod

fod

Nov 18, 2005
    Louisivlle Kentucky
    that is one thing that i ahve noticed both in person and on cd is that sustain seems to be a big part of their sound. also somewhat related; does anybody know what effects the bass player from first to last is using (specifically on the "heroine" cd) it sounds like a fuzz box of some kind but i don't know. I really love the sound.

7. You might have to play with the truss a bit to compensate for the very low tuning/low tension. It helps to have heavier gauge strings to prevent fretbuzz.

When playing hardcore, I find the most important thing to do it to lock in with the drummer. It's important to have a good sense of rhythm. Pickstyle playing and lots of mids help you cut through, as well as a bit of overdrive (tube amps obviously help a lot). Be melodic, be creative, but make sure you're steady as a rock.

8. If you want to become an excellent metalcore type player you should try to become as versatile a bass player as possible. I used to listen to a lot of that stuff, but one thing that is consistent is that it seems the only reason they have bass players is because they're supposed to. I find a lot of bass playing lacking, because they don't really seem to make it a priority in the music. Hold down the low end and try to spice it up when you can, it's a pretty cookie cutter genre and from what I've seen making sure the singer looks like a female crackhead seems to be more important than producing real cutting edge music. Don't get me wrong, I like a lot of that stuff, just think outside the box as much as you can while not taking away from the style you're trying to create. Also, become good with a pick and palm muting, a lot of that suff involves chugging and the tighter the instruments sound together, the better it is. Good luck.

....all imo of course :p

9. fod

fod

Nov 18, 2005
    Louisivlle Kentucky
    yeah i noticed that, but then i have found some bands that have a really good bass player that are not there for looks. I especially like from first to last bass player even though they have a kind of prog. rock feel to them. also im sure with some of the low tunings that the guitars use, it must really cut out on the places where the bass has room to play, if you get what i am saying. so then it dos kind of limit the bass to playing root.

10. Just concentrate on playing clean and tight with the rest of the band and I'm sure you'll do just fine. And if you slip up and someone calls you out on it, just say you:D 're an artist and accuse them of not understanding you :bassist: :bassist:

11. fod

fod

Nov 18, 2005
    Louisivlle Kentucky
    lol now that is an awesome answer for when you mess up

12. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    Lock in with the drums and try not to just copy what the guitars are doing......

13. Nico3535

Nico3535

Mar 8, 2006
    Florida
    I played in in a metalcore band for 2 years and i use a cort curbow with an aguillar pre and bartolini soap, played with my fingers and still got a gritty tone. I used real light gauge strings so there would be less tension that way i could beat up the bass and not beat up my fingers. It was a 5 string so i could still go low.

14. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Find a way to get an especially aggressive tone. I've seen countless metalcore/metal bands where the bassist totally gets buried. Even the bassist from KSE is barely audible most of the time.

My current band goes into metalcore territory pretty often. I use a 35" 5-string bass tuned BEADG (even though the guitarist is usually in drop C). This extra bit of string tension lets me play fingerstyle pretty aggressively and slightly faster than I would be able to otherwise. I also use steel strings and a Sansamp BDDI for an alternate EQ with more low end and presence.

What I do to really cut through and be a critical part of our sound is aggressive slapping in the lower registers. Nothing cuts through or sounds as punchy. It can take a little while to develop the neccessary speed and precision with your thumb.

As far as preparation, learn how to play complicated rhythms and train whatever technique you need to pull them off.

15. vyse933

vyse933

Mar 31, 2006
    Grand Haven, MI
    i have a suggestion if you wanna not just be the guitars low end octave pedal. symply pretend your a rythm guitar...except don't play any chords....but pretend your the "rythm" guitar and come up with contrasting parts.

16. I was always told the answer was " hey, I thought we were playing acid jazz.":bag:

17. EADG mx

EADG mx

Jul 4, 2005

Definetely nothing metal about these bands at all.

18. Yes I agree, definately consider heavier gauge strings-on the Fender J deluxe with the badass bass II bridge- I have a 130 gauge and the rest 85, 65, 45 from a 5 string bass pack... however some people prefer 130, 105, 85 and 65. On adjusting the neck it deals with the truss rod- I had someone do it for me.

19. The only advice i can give is check out kid dynamite, if there is such a thing as meldoic hardcore its them, and great bass lines

20. If you are currently playing with your fingers, I wouldn't switch to a pick. Nothing will make you a better bass player than playing metal without a pick. When I first started playing bass i refused to use a pick, even though I was in a metal band. It payed off and now i can pluck faster than I can pick. If you use a pick all the time anyway, just concentrate on following the drums and staying in key. Don't change your style for the sake of the band you're in. Throw your style in the mix and see how it sounds before you go changing every thing. -joe