Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hardcore?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Brendan, Apr 30, 2002.

1. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Harcore- This popped up in Basses, and I guess it deserves merit enough to be discussed.

Since I'm doing the whole thread thing...I consider Hardcore to be Hatebreed, Vision of Disorder, ect. While Hardcore PUNK is Gorilla Biscuts and company. I personally see Hardcore and hardcore Punk two different genres, with straight hardcore being metal ifluenced by punk music. Not directly, but through attitude and subject matter.

Thoughts?

2. hardcore which is like to me (dillenger escape plan, botch, coalesce, etc.)

3. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    Hatebreed is not hardcore... I wouldn't no the exact genre but Hardcore is like Neil Perry, Poison the Well, Botch like you mentioned and others.

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Dillenger also falls under my header of Hardcore...well, hardcore and whack music (in a good way)

5. If Hatebreed doesn't fall under the Hardcore Genre where do they fall? I've got "Satisfaction is the Death of Desire" and it's one of the hardest CDs I own.

I was really big into hardcore and agree that hardcore is metal influenced by punk. But, even under that description, you've got straight edge bands like Earth Crisis, which have the anti drug, anti meat, my body is a temple type of influence. don't get me wrong, Earth Crisis, ans sXe music in general is really badass, but it's got something else added into the mix.

I never really got into the Hardcore/ Punk scence, even thought they typically played the scene and the same shows. At least where I grew up.

From what I've noticed, Victory Records seems to be a label signing hardcore bands in whatever form it comes in.

I dunno, that's just my opinion, and I'm not really into hardcore that much anymore, so I'm probably missing out on a lot of whats going on in the scene.

6. i like hardcore and hardcore punk, but then again i like carrots too....so then....

7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I don't follow the genre, but I like good music in all genres, and I'm fortunate to have discovered these great bands. I saw Dillinger Escape Plan open for Mr. Bungle: the lead singer was mixed too loud so my friends weren't impressed, but the band absolutely blew me away... they were as tight as any band I've ever seen live. I think Alternative Press clued me in to the others.

8. I was very much into the hardcore scene from 1986 to 1992. At that time "hardcore" meant bands like Youth of Today, Gorilla Biscuits, Minor Threat, Sick of it All, Bold, etc. Most hardcore bands were straight edge as well. It was never referred to as "hardcore punk." Punk was The Exploited, Germs, Circle Jerks, etc. Hardcore kids did not want to be associated with 'dirty punk rockers.' Hardcore music generally had a very positive message. If you asked a metal guy what hardcore was, he'd give you a funny look and ask why you had x's on your hands. In the early 90's, most of the 1987 era bands had disappeared, and bands like Burn, Integrity, Earth Crisis, and Sheer Terror started introducing a more 'metal' sound into the genre. That's when I got out. I guess hardcore has now evolved into stuff like Hatebreed, for better or worse. I've listened to Hatebreed, and thought it was awful. Their shows are nothing but an excuse for middle class kids to beat the crap out of each other.

So to answer your question, the stuff that you are referring to as 'hardcore punk' is actaully the antecendent of what you call 'hardcore.' It's all the same thing, but the level of brutality has increased over the years.

9. When I think of hardcore, the first thing I always think of is bands like, Circle Jerks, Bad Religion, Bad Brains, Minor Threat, Germs, Black Flag etc. etc. I also think of it in terms of newer punk bands, that have the "hardcore punk" sound, like AFI, Avail, Rancid, etc. I don't really remember that there's a whole other hardcore scene all its own with All out war, Ignite, Hatebreed etc.
    In the early 80's, especially in LA, a lot of metalheads and punks were mixing together because they both liked heavy metal, and the bands were playing music that combined the Ramones with Led Zeppelin. Originally, hardcore bands were punk-like, especially because of Straight Edge. In fact, many of them were more positive than most punk bands which were more interested in getting drunk and self-destruction. But now more and more hardcore bands are acting on a mob mentality with "crew unity" more important than overall unity. In addition, many of the straight edgers have gotten totally dogmatic on everything.

I still consider hardcore to be what others think as hardcore punk because I really can't stand some of the hardcore drek out there.

10. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    best hardcore punk cd=Shut your mouth and open your eyes by AFI.

this was their only hardcore punk but its amazing.

11. silvermaneZ

silvermaneZ

Oct 10, 2000
    Houston, TX
    My one ignorant question for the day......

What is Straight Edge? Some band or movement that I have never heard of?

12. supergreg

supergreg

Jan 20, 2002
    Straight Edge IMO is not doing drugs or drinking.

13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Also no casual sex, and often includes vegan diet as well.

14. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Did my comments have anything to do with the creation of this thread?:p :rolleyes:

Oh well, Once again it depends on what you call it. A name is a name, and music is what makes it what it is. We all have different labels for different things. I guess what I would call the Hardcore guys, you would call the Metal guys. What you call the hardcore guys, I call the punks. Same stuff different name.

Peace
    Nick

15. My boxers are hardcore, they stand up by themselves. My deoderant is hardcore too, it has to be.

I like carrots, but only the hardcore ones.

16. (Taken from http://www.straight-edge.com)

Straight-edge refers to a philosophy that's most basic tenets promote a drug free lifestyle. It developed as an offshoot of the punk rock/hardcore scenes of the early 1980's when the term itself is believed to have been coined by Ian Mackaye, in the self titled song, while he was the singer of the seminal hardcore band, Minor Threat. Mackaye eschewed the nihilistic tendencies of punk rock, promoting instead the simple (almost simplistic) philosophy of "don't drink/ don't smoke/ don't $#&%."
    In the 12 years since the demise of Minor Threat, these simple beliefs have transformed the minds of scores of teens worldwide. Increasingly disenchanted with societal ills, young men and women adopt the straight-edge doctrine as a blueprint to better first themselves, and then the world in which they live. While the original definition of straight-edge only included the rejection of mind altering substances and promiscuous sex, modern interpretations include a vegetarian (or vegan) diet and an increasing involvement and awareness of environmental and political issues.

As noted, straight-edge grew out of the punk rock/hardcore scene and so music plays an important role. The Teen Idles, an early 80's Washington, DC hardcore band, and something of a precursor to Minor Threat, can arguably be called the first straight-edge band. Since that time there have been hundreds if not thousands of bands who've so labeled themselves. Early bands included Minor Threat, SSD and Uniform Choice. In the mid to late 80's, straight-edge hardcore reached a zenith, especially in the greater Metropolitan area of New York City. This atmosphere led to the creation of Gorilla Biscuits, Bold, Wide Awake and arguably the most prolific band of the era, Youth of Today. While the bands of this period did much to popularize straight-edge, they also contributed to its closeminded and antagonistic aspects. The attitude between straight-edge and the rest of the world often took on adversarial tones during this time, largely becoming "The positive youth crew versus people who drink, smoke and/or do drugs." Many people dislike straight-edge and its adherents because of such intolerant views.

Straight-edge today, while nothing like the "halcyon" days "back in '88," still offers a viable and positive lifestyle. Bands such as Strife, Mouthpiece, Earth Crisis and Snapcase, continue to proliferate and bear the standard. While its detractors often claim that straight-edge(rs) are no more than suburbanite, cliquish, fashion victims, few can argue that the philosophy is still valid. The drug-free lifestyle has left its positive impact on more than one wayward youth. Perhaps the ideals and ideas are more pertinent today than ever as the focus begins to reach beyond affecting merely oneself to altering and improving one's society and environment

-------------------------------------------

And uh...that's probably way more information than anyone wanted...sorry.

17. Oh, and as for the original thread, I don't see really any...positive...reason for attempting to sort out the mess of what band is categorized as. I mean, to lots of people, punk is just blink 182 and like, sum 41. I have no issues with those bands, but I don't think they exactly represent punk. It's a big, fat, gooey mess, I just listen to anyone I dig.

-Dave

18. silvermaneZ

silvermaneZ

Oct 10, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Thanks Sock Justice. Learn something new every day. :D

19. Jennifer

Jennifer

Jul 31, 2000
    Erie, Illinois
    Hardcore has a death influence IMO. Those horrible vocals...

20. JoelEoM

JoelEoM

Mar 11, 2002
    Lancaster, PA
    i tend to disagree. i for one enjoy screaming, if im in the mood for it. sometimes, normal singing vocals just dont do it for me. im also 19. i dont personally know a single person past their mid twenties who enjoys hardcore, simply because they cant stand the screaming. people in general tend to mellow out as they get older.(which is why you dont see 55 year olds doing hardcore shows) as far as the death influence, i also disagree. i know many people in "hardcore" bands, and of other bands ive listened to, ive found a lot of the lyrics are about relationships or political issues. all IMO and IME of course.