1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Hardcover or Paperback

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by BioDriver, Jan 6, 2013.

Hard or paper

Poll closed Jan 16, 2013.
  1. Hardcover

23 vote(s)
    48.9%
  2. Paperback

14 vote(s)
    29.8%
  3. Don't care

4 vote(s)
    8.5%
  4. Carrotback

6 vote(s)
    12.8%
  1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Hard cover for the books that are part of the permanent collection.

2. Paperback, always. Hate carrying hardcovers around. I don't collect books, I read them, then reread them. I love a worn, fabric-feeling Penguin classic. My copy of Moby-Dick is delightfully sun aged and pliable thanks to having read it four or five times.

3. mkandolf

mkandolf

Nov 21, 2007
    Saint Clair, MI
    Hardcovers because I keep books around and reread them.

Paperbacks break down too quickly and easily if you read them more than once.

E-readers are too hard for me to read versus print.

4. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    Trade Paperback

5. Ditto, my father is bad for giving it a full front cover to back cover contact, ruining the spine!

6. Out of interest, have you tried e-ink readers? I used to be the same, I can't read from regular monitors for long periods of time, but e-ink is very different and very pleasant to read. You can also adjust font type and size to personal preference. Biggest issue I've found is the difference in holding, as it is so much thinner, so no real issue!

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    If I'm reading a book, I want to get comfortable with it. Softcover for sure.

I feel stiff reading a hardcover.

However, hardcovers are great for art books, photo books, and textbooks.

All of my novels are paperback. I'll usually wait until then to buy.

8. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    I don't really care as long as they're durable and well made. I own both softcovers and hardcovers that are falling apart...it's pretty annoying.

9. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I prefer Hardcover books, but I'll only buy that version over the paperback if the price difference isnt too much.
    Most of my books are purchased used from Amazon.com, so I get the hardcover when available.
    My bookshelf is probably 1/5 hardcover.

10. I'm cheap and I find hardcovers more difficult to read, so my vote is for paperbacks, although I do like the look of a hardcover.

It's not like I read good literature anyway so it doesn't matter all that much.

11. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    Paperbacks.... Love em. Technology has yet to create a more fun way to read IMO.

hardbacks are nice and all, but paperbacks you can chuck in your bag/pocket/bass case!

12. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    Hardback for books I value highly, paperback for 'beach books'.

Ex: Foucault's Pendulum = hardback, anything by Preston & Child = paperback

13. fjadams

fjadams

Jun 7, 2011
    Danbury, CT
    If I'm buying a book I prefer hardcover.

But I buy most of my books anymore from Audible. Have turned into an audible addict.

Couldn't even imagine driving anymore without being read to.

14. Gopherbassist

Gopherbassist

Jan 19, 2008

I had one that I was required to buy that was just loose leaves connected with one of those stupid plastic things that rolls into itself. It was expensive, WE NEVER EVEN USED IT, and it was so flimsy that by then end of the year when I wanted to return it it was destroyed.

I specifically asked the teacher if we would use that book, because I didn't want to buy it because I forsaw something like that happening, and she said "Oh yeah! Make sure you get it." :rollno:

15. GK Growl

GK Growl Inactive

Dec 31, 2011
    Paperback because they are cheaper...and preferably a used paperback as well!

16. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I find, when it comes to used books, that hardcover and paperback prices are generally comparable, so I buy the hardcover. If there is a huge difference in the price I'll get the paperback.

17. +1

I do most of my book buying in charity shops, hardbacks and paperbacks are generally on the same shelfs with the same price.

18. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I do most of mine via Amazon. I find all kinds of used books for 1¢, though they'll come out to $4 after shipping. Still seems worth it to me, as Id likely spend $3.99 in gas finding these books anyway.

19. Ziltoid

Ziltoid I don't play bass

Apr 10, 2009
    Canada
    My little ritual is to take the bus to a place of town with 5 or 6 used books stores. There's also a few places that sell vinyls and an European grocery and a tea shop nearby. It makes for a nice afternoon. But I also order a lot of new books on amazon.

20. Hardcover...always.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 14, 2021