Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hardest bands to mix, greates mix you've heard?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by mebusdriver, Feb 13, 2003.

1. IMO At the Drive-in would be a very hard band to mix. Actually getting those guys to sit down and record would probably be hard enough. Also, probably one of the greatest mixes/recordings I've heard is Refused, The Shape of Punk to Come. And probably the latest Tool record. Dave Matthews Band usually has really good mixes too, also a challenging assignment.

2. I think experimental bands, personally, would be kind of hard to mix. Especially ones that use mutltiple layers of sounds.

should you solo the wine bottle? Perhaps make the "beeps" more upfront...Maybe the feedback should be less blaring. How about if I turn down the tin-whistle.

I just think it would be very odd.

but then again, most experimental bands mix their own recordings.

As for best mix ever, I don't have a very discriminating ear, I love albums that sound like they were recorded in a mailbox. And I love Boston.

Boston was a really nice mix though, when I think about it. I kinda like D4's mixes too.

Refused are cool.

3. the last tool record disappointed me. all the instruments sound thin to me, no real character.

i always thought 311 had great mixes.

4. I'll have to second the vote on this one. That record has an amazing mix for all the different stuff that happens. Another great mix, IMO, is Failure's Fantastic Planet. There is just so much going on there and nothing gets lost.