Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hardest bass lines to play and sing at the same time

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by RicPlaya, Feb 3, 2004.

1. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I think Mc Cartney has some if not the most trickiest bass lines to play while singing. Is there any other examples of artists that have really hard basslines that they play while they also sing? Most singing bass players seem to play easier lines while they sing, not Sir Paul and I'm sure there are more you guys can point out.

2. I am sure there are a few Primus lines that border on nearly impossible to play and sing :D

3. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    "Spirits in the Material World" by the Police.
    Tricky Tricky Tricky. Try it sometime. It's a really deceptively simple sounding until you go for it.

4. deviatedwolf625

deviatedwolf625

Jan 30, 2004
    Yeah, Tommy the Cat is pretty insane.

How he does it, from what i've read, is lays down a bass line, and then sits in front of the tube and plays it. When he can actually focus on what's going on in front of the TV, he then lays down vocals for it.

5. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR

Actually, Tommy the Cat is one of the few songs I can probably play and sing at the same time. Thanks to Wrong Robot, I got the song down, and it is damn easy. The vocals are the tricky part since they are fast.

6. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    Working on "The Trees" by Rush....fun. ;) -Luke

7. Yeah, Geddy Lee is kind of insane. Doesn't he play some sort of keyboard with his foot, while singing, and playing those great, busy bass lines? I really should check out more of his stuff.

8. i'm tripping over "Me and my Bass Guitar" by victor wooten

so so funky

9. Roxanne by the Police seems pretty hard, considering how off the beat the bass line is. (purposely off the beat, not insulting Sting :p )

10. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    Ooops, realized that I didn't post a toughie! Hmm... I know it isn't the bassist's job to sing this, but I Was Made To Love her is damn near impossible for me to play and sing!

11. I know Jamerson didn't sing. But try "My Girl" by the temptations.

The bass line is as good as the vocals.

12. Sting - "Love is stronger than justice (the munificent seven)"

-the odd-time signature riff in the verse.

13. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    Vasoline by STP. Maybe its just me but, dang! :meh:

14. ps. Gail Ann Dorsey sings Freddy Mercury's vocal part for "Under pressure" with David Bowie while playing the bassline (as we know and love from "Ice ice baby" :D )- quite tricky.

15. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Yo, WR, help *me* learn to play this one, eh? I'll be your best frie-end =0) I've read the tab and it looks nothing like what I hear.

and hell, even though i'm not playin' it, the vocals are damn near impossible for me to grab and/or replicate, and i'm pretty good at deciphering lyrics! (again, reading it is distinctly different, it reads easy but in the live version of TTC, whoa, Les is the freakin' micro-machine man.)

16. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    I find the hardest to sing and play are the ones that have syncopations in odd places. "Alive" by Pearl Jam is surprisingly difficult to make both the bass and vocal parts sound convincing.

Chris A. :rolleyes: :bassist:

17. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    Come On, Come Over - J. Pastorius

18. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Jammadave, There isn't really much I can say, When I learn to sing and play at the same time, I make sure that the bassline is 100% solid, and then I just layer the vocals on top of it.

an exercise I like to do, is get the groove going, then just practice talking over that, make playing the bassline something that doesn't require that much focus, and try and just talk, ask a friend to ask you some questions, or maybe just read aloud a post(this post?) on TB

Stuff like that.

I saw Richard Bona last night, he was singing falsetto vocal melodies while holding down basslines, it was VERY impressive, and sounded great.

19. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I am studying singing bass players, maybe I should have been more specific, but songs written by bass players that sing. Most are easy to play if written by the same person singing the song, but some guys like Mc Cartney, Claypool, are insane. It's challenging enough just to play the bass parts let alone lay dowen the vocals.