Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hardest Bass song to play ever?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by 311 fan, Sep 25, 2000.

1. 311 fan

311 fan

Sep 24, 2000
    La Verne, CA
    I have no idea. What do you think?

2. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    The easier they sound, the harder they be:
    "Tobacco Road" from Edgar Winter's White Trash.
    Slow, and plodding...just try to keep perfect time with this one; it's a rhythm section testament to precision.

3. Gee, I was thinking along the lines of Bottesini, maybe like Duo Concertante. Am I in the wrong place? As it is, I'm busting my ass trying to get through Beethoven's 9th, but that's not exactly a song.

4. rablack

rablack

Mar 9, 2000
    Houston, Texas
    I doubt this is what 311 fan had in mind and maybe it's not the "hardest bass song to play ever" but I've always been daunted by the challenge of playing a convincing walking line over the changes to Giant Steps.

I still think my idea of using little icons after the list of topics instead of [DB] and [BG] might help to keep the electric bass guitar folks from getting lost and wandering over here. Although, it might be amusing to hear their perspective on the french vs. german bow discussions.

5. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Oops...wrong board....gotta remember to check for [BG] or [DB] after the topic. My apologies....

6. If Beethoven had ever heard heard Edgar Winter I'm sure he
    wouldn't have even bothered with the 9th, like those triplets towards the end of the fourth movement are supposed to be hard or something. Paleeeeaaasse!

7. Hey Kczrwsk: Nobody likes a smart ass. For me, the triplets are easy, real easy only when the tempo is a la soporifico, or better yet, when the conductor has rigor mortus. And for those of you who don't know the piece, by comparison, Giant Steps is truly a walk in the park.

8. rablack

rablack

Mar 9, 2000
    Houston, Texas
    Ha - "a la soporifico" My metronome doesn't have that indication. I'd better get a new one - sounds like something I need.

9. How about Rimsky-Korsakov's "Flight of the Bumblebee?" I heard Billy Sheehan play it.Whew!!! I know I'm not a double bassist,'scuse me for intruding.

10. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    You know, somehow i dont think "311 fan" is an upright player! But man, how can you pin down "the hardest song to play ever"? Kinda impossible.

Oooo, this is my second post here. Pretty soon, ill be posting like crazy here...because...IM GOING TO BEGIN PLAYING UPRIGHT! In the "expert" jazz band, of all things. Way to jump right in, eh?

11. This will be my last post in this section,...I promise.

Slow and steady wins the race.
    The Tortoise

12. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Um, what's a "double" bass. Is that one with the two necks, like in Spinal Tap?

13. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    How about Salt Peanuts?