Hardest song u've ever played

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bb_boy68, Jul 10, 2001.

1. I was wanting to know what song by what band do u think has the hardest part for bass? I'm just a beginner (11 mths) but mine is Tommy the Cat by Primus. So, what's urs?
  2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I was given an original song from a local Jazz pro, with a written bassline in 15/4 and I just could not get it. Eventually I programmed it into my Roland microcomposer (sequencer) and after a week of playing along to it, I managed to do it - now I can do it at the drop of a hat, but really have no use for it. ;)
  3. FunkSlapRumblefish

FunkSlapRumblefish Guest

May 23, 2000
    Charlotte, NC
    "Me and My Bass Guitar" by Victor Wooten has some tapping that I can't nail. I try all the time to get the right speed but I usually can't play the song right when I go that fast. I guess I'll keep on practicing, since (as some people say) "practice makes perfect" :rolleyes: :D

4. 5156246

Sep 6, 2000
    "Lessons in love" once.
    I didn't feel my thumb any more, after hours of practicing it.

But today I can play it without trouble.
    Yes, practice is half the life.
  5. The hardest song I am trying to learn is by Slayer-Angel of death. Not too hard on the note part but the speed is so god damn hard it is discusting
  6. Donna Lee! It´s easy if you play it slow but if you try to do it as Jaco did...you burn your fingers!
  7. victor wootens classical thump, I don't think anyone who has seen the sheet music (not the tabs) will disagree that this may be the hardest bass line ever. Please tell me if there is a harder one I would love to take a year off and learn it.
  8. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    i tried to play that, so then after the first 2 measures i said, "**** this!!!"
    For a song i actually played, i would have to say Portrait of Tracy because the one false harmonic with the index finger on the low b on the a string and the pinky playing the harmonic on the Eb, is pretty damm hard for my small hands. On upright i've tried to play some really hard Stravinky/Tchaik. solos that are harder than ****. The Stravinksy ones have some of the most difficult rythyms i've seen in my life.
  9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Road Angel - Doobie Brothers
  10. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I haven't tried anything too hard yet. :)
  11. membranophone

Mar 19, 2000
    Madison, WI
    Been learning some Bach Inventions recently.. Sometimes they are kinda tough.
  12. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i had it...and lost it. :mad: i can bust out some passages from that, but my doublethumbing isn't to a level yet to actually be able to do it convincingly. (i can play almost the whole song fingerstyle though!)

but probably the HARDEST piece of music i've ever played would be the nielson 1st symphony (i think that's what it was). 8 or so pages of black (so many 16th notes) UW-Madison symphony's first concert last year was this mofo, i had to shed and shed that thing, sheesh. but i was a member of the half of the section that could play it, that made me happy. upright is a bitch.

13. Tyler Dupont

Tyler Dupont Wesly Headpush

There are so many depending on the style, I could go on and on .. but the hardest I've worked out recently is Mr.Pink by Level42. It's not too hard now.. but it needs some polishing.
  14. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    "Rampage", on Marcus Miller's The Sun Don't Lie CD. This is the hardest piece that I feel that I've learned well enough to say "nailed it!". Some that I've tried and haven't nailed include:

* "My Greatest Hits" Stanley Clarke - I Wanna Play For You

* "Me & My Bass Guitar" Victor Wooten - A Show of Hands

* "School Days" Stanley Clarke various CDs (haven't nailed the hyperspeed solo so it I can't claim it yet)

Somebody mentioned Victor Wooten's "Classical Thump". I haven't worked up the nerve to even try that one yet. I even have the tab somewhere. I looked at it and went "I'd need another hand".