1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hardest time leaving a hospital

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by i_got_a_mohawk, Aug 31, 2008.

1. I was just seeing my great uncle in the hospital on friday. Now it may seem like a bit of a far off relative, but both my grandfathers died when I was young, so he was always a grandfather-like figure out to me.

Two weeks ago he had a sudden aggressive turn and started acting strangely in general, turned out he had a frontal lobe stroke and was taken to hospital. They later (Tuesday) found out he had an aortic aneurysm and was bleeding out into his abdomen (probably the source of the blood clot). The doctors gave him about 48 hours. He is still kicking and fighting this, but it is apparently a question of time now :( . It was hard being in there and seeing him for what is probably the last time, there is a slim chance it will heal up and he will pull through, and we all hope for the best. But, leaving that hospital room was one of the hardest things I have had to do. Knowing I will quite probably never see this great man again.

He lived quite a life, started off a philosophy degree at Aberdeen University. War broke out when he was in the middle of his course and he left to join the naval air forces (I forget the name of the corps). After the war he finished his studying at Edinburgh university and has a degree in Natural Sciences and an MA in philosophy (which he graduated with in 1950). During that time he met my great aunt, and they became engaged. While working at university, he was also a part time life guard at the Portobello public swimming pool, this is around the same time sean connery worked there! He proceeded from university to become a high school science teacher in Edinburgh, eventually becoming the head of department at the school he taught. At the time he was also the only teacher to have a buzz cut :smug: . Another interesting fact is that, althought he is my great uncle, he only turned 21 this year. Was born on Febuary the 29th, so 63 years later than everyone else his age, he got his 21st birthday.

He truely is an amazing man, and with an incredible intellect, he was helping me just a couple months ago to get my head around quantum phyisics and mechanics :)

I dare say nothing else really needs posted here, I just wanted to share a little history about a great man. I am sure a number of you will have also been in that situation where you have walked away knowing that is probably the last time you will ever see that person still alive, and how hard it can be. Guess I just needed a bit of a release here. Cheers for listening guys :)

And good luck Charlie, if anyone can somehow manage to pull through this, you can mate!

2. plexibass

plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    having just been through something very similar with my dad, GOOD MOJO HEADED YOU WAY!!! best of luck to uncle charlie!!!!

3. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    hang tough Mohawk.

4. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    best wishes mate!! hope things turn out OK, and I'm sure he's as proud of you as you are of him :)

5. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    As someone who doesn't read TB much anymore but almost always finds your posts among the most worthwhile, my condolences. I've been right there and it is difficult.

6. Hi, I know what your going through. My grandad had a stroke a year ago this past saturday. He has made a very good recovery and is starting to be the man he was before the stroke again. I know its not much but I send my love out to you and your family during this hard time for you. Never give up when it gets hard, believe me miracles do happen. Hang in there.