Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hardshell Cases

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by seamus, Jul 30, 2001.

1. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Does anyone know of a place I can order SKB 44's at a reasonable price online? Seems everywhere I look they are $99 or so. I realize that hardshell cases are an investment for a bass, but man, I don't see them being worth a hundred clams! Also any off brand suggestions are welcome as well.

My only requirements are that the case is a hardshell and will accomodate standard basses, much like the SKB 44. Gig bags are cheaper, but any that are really nice are almost as much as a case anyway, so I prefer a case. I was never a fan of gig bags, I find a hardshell to be infinitely more satisfying.

Thanks for any input! :)

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Carvin's equivalent is ten bucks cheaper. Buy a bass from them and it's $55 cheaper.

3. $99 is about right, and the SKB cases are pretty well made. I've never really gone with the gig-bags, although I carry my double-bass in a soft-case (the hard-case is around $1800 and I'd need a fork-lift to manage the thing...). Think of it in this way: you spend many $$ on the bass - paying a few extra $$ for the hard-case is a good investment w.r.t. protection. I suppose it depends how much you travel with your bass, or if you ever check it as baggage when you fly. You could always save a bunch of $$ and invest in a gunny-sack - it's been done before (cf. Johnny B. Goode) ;>

- Wil

4. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    The problem is I need 3 of them right now, and a $270-300 proposition for just cases seems high to me. I agree that cases are a necessity though, all my other basses currently have homes in one right now. :)

I looked at ebay and stuff too, but it seems people part with basses more easily than the cases they keep them in. :(

5. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    See if any local music stores have used cases,I got a Fender case in great shape for only $50(be sure to check the smaller music stores,ime they seem to have more used stuff than the big chains do).Also,if you buy new,see if they would give you a discount for buying three cases(doesnt hurt to ask).

If all else fails,American Musical Supply(www.americanmusical.com)has Squier cases for $65.Theyre nice cases,too.

6. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Cool, thanks for the replies guys, appreciate it. :)

7. I echo the thing about squier cases, I've never seen them, but they look fairly sturdy since they are plastic hardshell.