1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hardshell Cases

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by seamus, Jul 30, 2001.

1. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Does anyone know of a place I can order SKB 44's at a reasonable price online? Seems everywhere I look they are $99 or so. I realize that hardshell cases are an investment for a bass, but man, I don't see them being worth a hundred clams! Also any off brand suggestions are welcome as well.

My only requirements are that the case is a hardshell and will accomodate standard basses, much like the SKB 44. Gig bags are cheaper, but any that are really nice are almost as much as a case anyway, so I prefer a case. I was never a fan of gig bags, I find a hardshell to be infinitely more satisfying.

Thanks for any input! :)

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Carvin's equivalent is ten bucks cheaper. Buy a bass from them and it's $55 cheaper.

3. $99 is about right, and the SKB cases are pretty well made. I've never really gone with the gig-bags, although I carry my double-bass in a soft-case (the hard-case is around $1800 and I'd need a fork-lift to manage the thing...). Think of it in this way: you spend many $$ on the bass - paying a few extra $$ for the hard-case is a good investment w.r.t. protection. I suppose it depends how much you travel with your bass, or if you ever check it as baggage when you fly. You could always save a bunch of $$ and invest in a gunny-sack - it's been done before (cf. Johnny B. Goode) ;>

- Wil

4. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    The problem is I need 3 of them right now, and a $270-300 proposition for just cases seems high to me. I agree that cases are a necessity though, all my other basses currently have homes in one right now. :)

I looked at ebay and stuff too, but it seems people part with basses more easily than the cases they keep them in. :(

5. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    See if any local music stores have used cases,I got a Fender case in great shape for only $50(be sure to check the smaller music stores,ime they seem to have more used stuff than the big chains do).Also,if you buy new,see if they would give you a discount for buying three cases(doesnt hurt to ask).

If all else fails,American Musical Supply(www.americanmusical.com)has Squier cases for $65.Theyre nice cases,too.

6. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Cool, thanks for the replies guys, appreciate it. :)

7. bertbassplayer

bertbassplayer Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2000
    DFW, TX
    I echo the thing about squier cases, I've never seen them, but they look fairly sturdy since they are plastic hardshell.