Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hardshell for NS

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by BassZen, Feb 5, 2005.

1. I got one of the NS's over the christmass holidays thinking that it would be portable because it was supposed to be able to fit in an overhead storage compartment on planes, of course with the new airline regulations they wouldn't let me take it on the plane. Anyway, I can't seem to find a hardshell case anywhere, at least online. And I think I wouldn't have to pay the 500 dollars they ask at NS. Does anyone know where to get these things?

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Check out rifle cases. I've seen a couple of Azola guys using a double-shotgun/rifle case to hold the bass and all of the trappings. If it breaks down, like the Alter Ego, you can also check out travel/check-on cases for golf clubs.

3. mburd

mburd

Aug 20, 2004
    Maine
    I'm going to try and make one from PVC pipe from my local plumbing store that I can just slide the gigbag into. Should be able to do this for cheep..
    I checked a bit into the golf and rifle cases. I didn't immediately see one long enough to accomodate the NS. Maybe there's a ski case that would work?

4. bassisten

bassisten

Sep 15, 2004
    Bergen, Norway

5. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    Mburd, you get an A+ for the day. That pvc idea is great. I'm gonna do that for my new homemade EUB. I'm gonna work out some kind of fome insert or something to keep it from rattling around in there too.

Hmm.... I wonder how the guards at school will feel about me walking in with a 6" by 4' pipe bomb :help: :p

6. flat five

flat five

Sep 1, 2004
    The PVC pipe bomb case with foam seems like a good and cheap solution but not perfect. The baggage handlers managed to crack the one I made on it's 4th flight. Fortunately the bass was not injured. All of the gun cases and golf cases I saw were about 1" too short for the NS bass. I picked up a fishing pole case at a sporting goods store last summer but I haven't done anything with it yet. It seems a little flimsy, but might work with some stiff foam. I was allowed to carry it on a couple of times before 9/11, but you never know these days when they will refuse, and there you are without sufficient protection for it.

7. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    Hmm... Do you know if it was the baggage handlers? I was wondering if maybe you had it sealed airtight, that the airpressure change could have caused the crack?

I don't foresee myself flying with one of these in the near future, so i'm not too worried. I was wondering what sort of attachment you guys used to seal the ends, Did you just cap both ends and leave one loose, or did you have a screw on cap at one end?

I was also throwing around the idea of cutting the pipe in half long ways, and adding some hinges and latches to make a side opening case, any thoughts?

8. JohnThomasson

JohnThomasson Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Mesa Boogie, DR Strings, Fender, Source Audio & Fishman
    I have one of the NS ones. It has held up well on a bunch of flights and months in a trailer, but I'm not that impressed with the quality of it for the price.

9. mburd

mburd

Aug 20, 2004
    Maine
    As much as I was tempted to go with that trendy pipe-bomb look I stumbled on this at our local mom-n-pop sporting goods store (LLBean)
    http://www.sportube.com/pages/skis_two_pair.htm#
    It has to have the stand bag separated and loaded after the instrument bag..and it's snug, but it works. It will hit the road with me this week. If it sucks, I'll sell it cheap(!)

10. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Looks like a giant-ass toothbrush travel case :) Now allsya need is a 35 gallon tube of Colgate.

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Gard - who is a fellow TB'er and who works at Bass Central designed a much more substantial gig bag :

Undercover/NS Design gigbag

This was $125 and it is a huge difference from the one that comes with the bass - I would be happy about using this on a plane, although it's not technically a flight case and is softish...

I think you can see them if you go to www.basscentral.com

12. mburd

mburd

Aug 20, 2004
    Maine
    ..LMAO.. now I know what I'm gonna do for halloween

(hint: brusha-brusha)

13. mburd

mburd

Aug 20, 2004
    Maine

14. Bruce Lindfield

15. Hi Bruce, what are the UK delivery times like on those?

16. Bruce Lindfield

I ordered one from Gard at Bass Central on 15 October last year and it arrived early November - I was very pleased - you can always PM Gard via TB to talk about them or email the Bass Central site. :)

17. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
  18. mburd

mburd

Aug 20, 2004
    Maine
    yes, a nice looking case indeed, but alas.. approx 10" too short for the NS.

19. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA

Ok, a bum link, but the idea is there. There are plenty of Anvil type cases out there are similar. Out church has a bunch of them for a portable lighting rig. They are at least 60" long.

20. mrpc

mrpc Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Don't know what the specs are on th NS, but you might try looking at tripod cases at

www.markertek.com

Hope this helps.