Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hardware Colors

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Edgar, May 12, 2001.

1. Black

21 vote(s)
    38.9%
  2. Chrome

19 vote(s)
    35.2%
  3. Gold

14 vote(s)
    25.9%
  1. Edgar

Edgar

Nov 4, 2000
    Montreal, QC, CA
    I often think of hardware colors as "cat people" and "dog people". If you would custom order a new bass today, which would you choose?

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    All Gold Hardware...looks classy to me. I dig it mucho grande. Mostly becuase I think gold goes well when dealing with any type of instrument with wood grain present.

3. I agree 100% with Brendan's reply!

4. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    I like either Matte Black or Brushed Aluminum.
    Though "combinations" can be cool too :D ...

[​IMG]

...so am I a Wolf or a pus** ? :eek: :p

5. madsky

madsky

Apr 21, 2001
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Gold looks awfully good on wood though.... :D

6. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    For me it depends on what kind of wood/finish the bass has. If it is a bass with a light colored wood such as maple and a natural finish I'd go with black hardware. But for darker colored basses I'd go with gold. Given the choice I would never go with chrome.

7. Chrome. I like shiney reflective things. :D

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Gold hardware looks really cheesey. I got it on both of my fretless basses, a Lakland and a Pedulla. Black on all three Fenders, and chrome on the Stingray 5 and Lakland fretted. They all look good to me. Except the gold. But that's what I like about it ... it's SO controversial.

[​IMG]

9. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    Gold looks good but pits and deteriorates easily, probably because the gold layer is thin and the metal underneath is soft so the plating will stick. I have had several basses, and still have one, with the gold finished hardware and it just doesn't hold up.

Brushed aluminum looks cheesy and deteriorates quickly. It is usually clear plastic coated to slow the process.

Black is somewhat more durable but scratches easily and will eventually wear off.

That leaves chrome. Chrome is one of the hardest metals and is much less susceptible to the problems of the other finishes. You just can't beat a good quality chrome finish for durability and looks. So far, this is my favorite.

Stainless would be pretty good except that the metal is relatively soft and is not usable as a plating metal. I have never seen a bass with stainless hardware but there must be one out there somewhere.

I can't help buy think someone will offer titanium hardware soon. It is hard, will take a number of nice finishes and is very light weight.

10. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    I really like Black hardware because they don't wear out like Gold... or rust like chrome/gold.. and black fits in basically any color and I just love the looks/feel of it

thats just IMHO of course

DM:D

11. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    GOLD!

i´m planning in changing the cheapo chrome bridge on my metallic blue(purple) MIM Jazz for a Gold Gotoh bridge and tuners...

looks great in my head... also pearloid white pickguard

12. oo0o00o0oo

oo0o00o0oo

Apr 30, 2000
    Chicago
    I like black or chrome. Gold just seems kinda cheesy to me, I don't even like gold jewelry though so...

13. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    i also hate gold jewelry... but in a bass is soooo diferent... can´t compare.

i love then black hardware in some situations... like in the Yamaha Billy Sheehan Attitude... Looks perfect.

Gold works in some colors, i agree is not for everybody.

14. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    ooooooooo: Im with ya on that.. i like Silver better than gold IMHO :D

15. cole

cole

Sep 14, 2000
    Maryland
    chrome or black. I can't stand gold hardware, especially with a natural wood finish. it ends up looking like something that would belong in an office--the "executive model".

16. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Custom bass? - As a matter of fact, I should have final spec's in next week on a custom after 3 months of agonizing and researching.

Hardware spec'd is a mix - all gold except for the control knobs which will be covered in exotic wood to contrast with the top.

If I was in a nu metal band or some kind of band that had a tough guy image, I'd go black chrome.

But as it is, I want it to look like a New Orleans pimp on Saturday night at the fights.

17. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Chrome all the way. But I won't give up on a bass just because of the colour of its hardware.
    I'm also a dog person. :)

18. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I like my stuff black, black and black. It's usually more expensive than chrome though, because of that, my stuff is chrome!

19. =^..^=

=^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    I'd have some of that - Ti is just sooo cool. It would match my watch then...

My Warmoth (which I ordered last week) is specced with all black hardware. Of course I'm a =^..^= person.

20. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    from cheaper to expensive:

Chrome---->Black---->Gold---->Titanium---->Real Gold :D