Hardware or Software for practicing.....help

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by rickr, Jun 22, 2017.

1. rickr

rickr Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA
    Hello all,
    I was wonder if anyone would give me recommendations for hardware or software that would allow me to input a chord progression and drum beat with time signature and BPM...
    Im sure there are many choices , I just don't know where to begin...
    Thanks
    Rick

2. I use this one. Works pretty well and you can write any kind of song or chord progression then play it back to practice against. Worth the money.

iReal Pro - Music Book and Play Along

lstelie, Whousedtoplay and LeeNunn like this.
  3. rickr

rickr Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA
    Thanks Spin Doctor

4. ba55i5t

ba55i5t

May 24, 2006
    Chordbot works very well for me

Whousedtoplay likes this.
  5. this looks pretty cool. Cheap too.

6. .I like to play-a-long to actual songs and let Google find me the chord sheets then a video of the song being played. Armed with the chord chart I listen to the song on the video and compose my bass line from the chord progression the chord chart gave me.

I also let Google find me backing tracks, with chord names, and play-a-long to those.

Counting roots; A-2-3-4|D-2-3-4|G-2-3-4|C-2-3-4|F-2-3-4|D-2-3-4|B-2-3-4|E-2-3-4|

Start with roots, counting like: E-2-3-4|C-2-3-4|G-2-3-4|D-2-3-4| Then root on the 1st beat and a 5 on the 3rd beat. Then a full chord tone. For example:

Em = R-b3-5-8
    C = R-3-5-8
    G = R-3-5-8
    D = R-3-5-8 or nothing says you can not insert some scale notes... R-3-5-6 or R-2-3-5, experiment. After about the fifth time through the chord progression you will be wanting to add some stuff. See what you can do with the 3 and 8.

Just something to think about. I let Google find me "stuff" all the time. Point, I do not have to get a program to help; Google normally comes through.

What I gave you should keep you busy for several weeks. Get in the shed.

In case you need this. Where are the 3, 5 and 8? From your root a 3 is always up a string and back a fret. That b3 is up a string and back two frets. The 5 from your root is always up a string and over toward the bridge two frets, or down a string same fret as your root. The 8 is above the 5 one string up, same fret as the 5. That's where 3's 5's and 8's live. Piece of cake.

What about that 2 & 6? The 2 is same string as your root and toward the bridge two frets. The 6 is above the 3 one string up same fret. For the rest of the story the 4 is up a string same fret as your root and the 7 is up two strings and over toward the bridge one fret. Make yourself a chart - if you have not already done so - and put that to memory and your ready to build 90% of the bass lines you will come up on.
    bass_board_1.png
    You are on the root C where is the F or 4th of C? Where is the 5 or G? Yep where they always are, just waiting on you. To use this you will be thinking in A, B, C's and 1, 2, 3's. It'll take a few weeks, but, really is quite simple. Find the root using A, B, C's (in first position - first 5 frets of your fretboard) then use what ever 3, 5 & 8's you want to include in your bass line. No it's not necessary you know what note name that 3 is. You needed a 3 and you found one. Later on we can get into what that 3 is named.

Have fun.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
    Flippy likes this.
  7. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    o_O

8. rickr

rickr Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA
    Thanks for all of the info guys. I appreciate it.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 1, 2021