Hardware question, suggestions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by basscooker, Feb 20, 2017.

1. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    I was looking to plug the 1/4" jacks on cabs. I know these can just be plugged with the right size rubber stopper. I was wondering if there is enough pressure happening in a ported cab to be concerned with the amount of grab a little stopper in there has, or a little rubber cap.

If there is a real concern here, is using something like a cap nut is worthwhile? If so, what is the thread for a 1/4" jack? I'm thinking 5/8", but what's the thread?

What is typically used (besides different connectors haha) to cap or plug them?

Thanks

2. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    Unless you have a source for the kind of plastic plugs that came on my Mesa and GK cabs, those cylindrical foam ear plugs you buy for hearing protection work well. They are kind of a memory foam deal...squeeze them to get them to compress and fit in the hole, then they expand with airtight precision! It sounds a touch goofy, but it actually works.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
    S-Bigbottom likes this.
  3. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    Neutrik makes the NDJ dummy plug: NDJ - Neutrik.

Mouser and other electronic suppliers carry them: NDJ Neutrik | Mouser.

If you are concerned about them blowing out, place a "stand back" warning note on the back of your cab.

Stumbo, Al Kraft and basscooker like this.
  4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 27, 2021