1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

HardWire DL-8 Delay/Looper: Anybody own one, using one?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Godbody, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Godbody

Godbody

May 27, 2008
    I saw one of these on my lunch break at the mom and pop store (which is frequently overpriced) and blinked twice when I saw the price. Then I saw all the features... It looks too good to be true. 20 second loops? 8 seconds of delay, with mutiple modes that all look useable?

I just hear some sound clips on the site: http://www.digitech.com/products/Hardwire/HW_DelayLooper.php

They sound pretty good to me. Don't see why it wouldn't be good on bass, especially an active one.

Anybody have some experience with this pedal?

2. afroman

afroman Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    It is a really good pedal. I liked it a lot.
    I did a review on it a while ago.

Do a search.

3. I really like the Hardwire DL-8....sound quality is fantastic (better than the Boss) and perhaps even better than the EH SMMH. I actually kept the SMMH on the bass pedalboard as the included tap tempo switch is very handy.

Unfortunately, I'm going with the DD-7 for the guitar rig as I really need a longer "loop" time and dotted-eighth note rhythms; however, the noise level and sound quality of the Hardwire pedal is noticeably better. My DL-8 went up on craigslist today as a result, but the bottom line is that it's a fantastic pedal for a very nice price. Very well made (solid construction and quality detented pots), and they include form molded velcro, a tone "lok" rubber applique' to protect the knobs, etc. The whole package is very, very classy. PM me if you want to know more about the pedal's features/sound as I've been able to A/B it extensively.

One other tidbit - the DL-8's "analog" delay setting is probably THE best and most convincing of the simulated analog delays on the Boss and the EH units...really well done...you can check out reviews on thegearpage.net and harmony central as well...pretty much 100% of the people who've used it rave about the analog mode.

Jay

4. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    A very nice delay indeed :bassist:

5. It is a great delay and a great pedal. I had it at home last week for a couple of days. It pretty much sold me on needing a delay pedal. The trouble was once I started using the looping I realized I wanted way more looping than it was able to provide. I almost kept it because of the killer delay effects but figured I should be able to find a cheaper delay.

Side note - went hog wild and bought the RC50 for looping. Have to find a delay pedal now. I might end up going back to the DL8 because that's how impressed i was with it. Solid pedal.

6. totallybacan

totallybacan

Mar 30, 2009
    bought it. and don't regret it. very useful modes plus tap tempo is amazing when live shows don't quite match up to practice tempo. also features bypass switch. its great if you dislike the occasional click when going in and out of the pedal. make sure though that you get a power adapter. this thing will drain your batteries like a vampire in a blood bank. but thats bout the only bad thing.
    bottom line: worth the money.

7. theunknowndude

theunknowndude Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2007
    Adelaide, Australia
    I loved it but only ever really liked it on the modulated delay and looping,... it is a very good digital delay, sounds very clear!

that said I only needed the simple delay pleasures of my carbon copy and I like the dark notes off of it better so have that on the board,... still definitely going to hold onto the DL8 as its got everything.... I wish they used the 'click' knobs on boss stuff so you didnt lose your settings all the time!!!

8. sk8

sk8

May 10, 2007
    United Kingdom
    i've just ordered one as its got eveything i need, its cheap and compact.

9. theunknowndude

Jun 20, 2007
    Adelaide, Australia
    I describe anything compact as 'boss size',... its slightly larger but barely so,... I think its the same size as my turbo rat... definitely not EHX size tho!

10. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Can the analogue delay simulation do crazy oscillation like the Carbon Copy?

11. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    +1 solid pedal. It's really clean and clear in digital mode and the tape mode is very nice and warm. I do wish it had a dedicated tap tempo and it seems just a little finicky about ac adapters. It works fine off my One Spot but not my Zoom 9v, odd. I really love the feature of the max feedback on the digital setting being a loop. You have to fiddle with the knob to add to it but you can build up a loop in delay mode and then play over it.

12. sk8

sk8

May 10, 2007
    United Kingdom
    its definately smaller than the SMMWH though!

13. theunknowndude

Jun 20, 2007
    Adelaide, Australia
    can't remember off the top of my head, mine has no batteries in it atm to test sorry!
    but I think it still does the changing of speeds like djish sounds?

14. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    I'll post an oscillation clip later so you can see what it can do. It's not just the pitch changing, it's the distortion that goes on as it feeds back. Certainly possibly to emulate digitally, but I don't know how well it does it.

15. theunknowndude

Jun 20, 2007
    Adelaide, Australia
    ahhh yep, I don't overly like that on my carbon copy, always feel like im going to blow out a speaker when it starts getting louder :(

16. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Yeah, you have to watch the mix/regen knobs. It's a good idea to run a limiter after it if playing with oscillation at high volume!

17. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    I own this pedal and it's predecessor, the DigiDelay. The DL-8 outperforms the DigiDelay in every field, especially the bypass and looper function. Though I will say I find the modulated delay on the DigiDelay to be thicker and fuller than that of the DL-8.

18. afroman

afroman Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Not at all. I ultimately sold the Hardwire (i really liked it) because for my simple uses the CC was smaller and does great crazy oscillations.

I still miss the Tap Tempo of the Hardwire.
    Because of the 3-second wait to get into and out off the TapTempo mode in the Hardwire, I had bought a small true-bypass looper to be able to just turn it on and off via the loop.

My pedalboard kept growing and I had to choose, so I kept the CC and sold the Hardwire (and I'm selling the looper in the Classifieds).

I did a week long comparison in my house and the CC and Hardwire in Analog sounded almost identical.

19. theunknowndude

Jun 20, 2007
    Adelaide, Australia
    yeah I kept my DL8 but love the carbon copy more,... interesting you found it almost identical,... I compared the modulated delay on the DL8 to more of the carbon copy tone,... that said I never really did indepth comparisons so that could have been my settings/rig that made me dislike the analog mode on the DL8

20. Don't think I have much to add, but I too have a DL-8, and like it. I'm especially fond of the modulated setting.