1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hardwiring a Jazz bass to series...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by FeelTheGroove, Apr 14, 2006.

1. FeelTheGroove

FeelTheGroove

Dec 2, 2005
    I know there are a million threads on the Series wiring mod already, I did a search and attempted to sort through them all but most deal with installing a switch or push/pull pot to go between series and parallel instead of hardwiring it.

I was wondering how hard of a job it is to hardwire the Jazz bass to series? Im halfway decent at soldering so I think I could do it myself. Also, can it be easily switched back to parallel incase I dont like the series mod?

If someone could give me a step by step on hardwiring to series I would appriciate it greatly.

2. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Just a thought, but I think your really limiting yourself if you choose just series. You will lose all the other potential combinations to have a much more versatile bass.

3. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Its basically wire one cable from one pickup to one from the other, and then hook em up to a pot...

4. aftershock

aftershock

Apr 26, 2005
    +1
    If you do install the switch you'll be able to change back and forth. If you do like one over the other then you don't have to change the switch. I installed one on my Jazz and I like the series mode but sometimes it's nice to be in parallel and turn up the bridge all the way and back off the neck a little or vise versa. If you insist on hardwiring it in series it is easy. I can't remember how to do it off of the top of my head, but I have the instructions burried in my bedroom somewhere. Just let me know if you want me to find them for you.

5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I concur with everyone else here about making it switchable.

But if you insist...

Disconnect the neck ground and bridge hot wires from current locations. Solder them together. That's it. Your bridge pickup volume pot will now have no effect and you're hardwired in series.

6. FeelTheGroove

FeelTheGroove

Dec 2, 2005
    Ok thanks, I didnt realize it was that simple.

I know that it would be wiser to put in a switch, but I figured I could do a quick hardwiring just to see what series sounds like. I could always put it back to parallel if I dont like it. Im getting kinda bored with my jazz tone, and usually when I play I just leave both pickups and the tone control cranked wide open anyway. Im kind of a "set it and forget it" player when it comes to passive basses.

Thanks again.

7. FeelTheGroove

FeelTheGroove

Dec 2, 2005
    Ok

I tried it this morning...hardwired to series and played around for a bit. Really thickened up the tone which was pretty cool. However I thought it sounded too boomy at times and too much high end was sacrificed. Maybe its cause I have an MIM with stock pickups, but the tone got kinda muddy. As we speak im heating up my soldering iron to change it back to parallel.

Thanks anyway guys.