Hardwood Floor Owners - advice sought

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by mrpackerguy, Dec 21, 2016.

Tags:
  1. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Full basement - we're in Wisconsin!

2. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    If you have a full basement. go down there and look up. You should be able to figure it out from there. I've never seen a concrete floor in an american house with a full basement; except for the basement floor.

Got a hammer and nail? Get in line with one of the registers and drive the nail into the floor. If it's wood it'll take a hit or two and then show almost no resistance if it's wood. It'll bend if its concrete (or you're no good with a hammer.) Pull the nail. Educated and done.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
  3. Howdy,

Having a house with wood floors, the only comment I might make is to NOT put wood floors in the kitchen.

It's high traffic. Heavy & hard things, like pots & pans, will get dropped on it. It just looks beat up & worn a lot faster than the rest of the house.

And I like wood floors.

edg

4. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab HELIX user & BOSE Abuser

Feb 11, 2004
    Texas
    Don't have casual affairs with psycho-babes(i.e. Fatal Attraction types).
    They may break into your home, plug up the bath tub drains, and turn the water on full blast and leave after painting obscenities all over the walls. Result: ruined floors, big insurance claim and check, dropped from insurance at next renewal.

5. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    If the floors that you want to cover are above basement, then they're not on slab. You can probably look up from below to see the sub flooring, some kind of plywood if the house isn't terribly old.

My house probably isn't far from yours. ;) It was built when oak flooring was dirt cheap. My only suggestion is to avoid wood flooring in an entry-way, especially if you have kids, because the water from boots and shoes during the winter will be tough on a wood floor. That's why most of the ubiquitous midcentury moderns have that slate flooring in the front entry.

guitar ed likes this.
  6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    What's under the carpet?
    Have you pulled that up in a corner somewhere to see what is below?

-Mike

7. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

We have a 4x4 section of tile on the floor inside the entry. The rest is hardwood. The tile keeps water and debris from hitting the hardwood when people step in. Definitely go with real wood, and thick enough that it can be refinished in the future.

8. I'll second this. In 2007, I had laminate put down in the kitchen and it's held up well even though I've been pretty hard on it.

The bedrooms and living room have beautiful oak floors that were installed in 1959 when the house was built. About 5 years ago, I refinished them with polyurethane, and while the bedrooms still look pretty good, the the living room is showing wear. I have my computer chair on an area rug that has worn off most of the finish underneath. Also, there are claw marks all over the floor from where the cats dug in while chasing each other through the house. But it still beats carpet any day. It's much easier to wipe up cat barf from a hard floor than it is to steam-clean carpet.

9. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    We tore all the carpet out of our house and installed 3/4" solid hardwood (birch- not the hardest of hardwoods) throughout a few years ago.
    We have two dogs and it's held up very good so far.
    It has a satin finish, so scratches don't show as much. There are certain high traffic areas where you can see some scratching in the right lighting, but we are very pleased. Our subfloor is plywood, so the installation went quick.
    This pic shows a bit of it in my music room.

IMG_0365.JPG

mrpackerguy likes this.
  10. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Yes, I like that natural finish... the floor looks good too. ;)

T_Bone_TL and tangentmusic like this.
  11. slobake

slobake resident ... something

Built an office/practice took off my garage. Found enough used white oak flooring on craigslist to do the whole office plus I had enough left over to do it again if I wanted. Gave what was left to my brother in law and he put in a basement room in his house. The wood cost me $100.00. The person I bought it from put it down and decided they wanted red oak.
    Kept sanding to a minimum and intentionally went for a rustic look. Came out pretty good.

sissy kathy likes this.
  12. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    I guess the guy you bought it from never heard of stain. Good deal for you though.

Gaolee likes this.
  13. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Avoid engineered. If your house is anything above "builder basic" avoid prefinished as it's necessary shoulder cuts give a low end appearance. Spend the money on a proper hardwood floor. Your budget will definitely allow it.

mrpackerguy likes this.
  14. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Bamboo, good on the environment and hard as nails.

15. guy n. cognito

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    If you have resale in mind, avoid fads like bamboo. Many, many people find them quite unattractive.

16. guy n. cognito

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    IMG_5179.JPG

Sand and finish oak....not even the best quality. This particular floor is 9 years old. 4 dogs, 3 kids.

mrpackerguy likes this.
  17. 2saddleslab

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Many more find them attractive. I don't do fads.

18. guy n. cognito

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I'm not sure their are statistics behind the desirability of bamboo, but they are indeed a fad.....like cork and "hand scrapped". Even three years ago several of our realtor clients would tell us that it was very difficult to sell many buyers on a house filled with bamboo flooring.

19. 2saddleslab

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    I'm sure there are statistics, not that it matters to me. I don't follow the lowest common denominator.

20. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Good idea - will do that. It's plywood I'm sure looking up from the basement

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021