Hardwood Floor Owners - advice sought

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by mrpackerguy, Dec 21, 2016.

Tags:
  1. buzzbass

buzzbass

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    we did Pergo about 15 years ago and it is holding up great. What didn't get pergo got ceramic tile

2. jchrisk1

jchrisk1 Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Northern MI
    As long as he gets in done within your timeline, that will be a good deal. Otherwise, your 9 days could turn into 3 weeks...
    The hickory is a nice choice. It looks good with a stain. I've done a few studies in hickory, floor to ceiling custom woodwork. Those were some of my favorites.

mrpackerguy likes this.
  3. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    don't know if it was common, but disregarding the border and the piece in the upper right corner, it'll look something like this before the stain
    IMG_20170210_154129287.jpg

Jeff Scott likes this.
  4. Not sure if it's been mentioned or not, but there are some absolutely great looking porcelain hardwood-looking planks. Some friends out here have a few variants, and I love it. There some old weathered patterns that are gorgeous, IMO. It's what I'll be putting in my bar, possibly this summer. I like hardwood, but with the bar, frequently entertaining, and going in and out from the pool or spa for a refill while dripping wet, wood isn't the best of ideas. Plus, porcelain is beyond tough as nails. Cujo wouldn't harm the stuff, let alone regular dogs. :)

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  5. mrpackerguy

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Much to my amazement, he got the ceramic tile demo done in 3 1/2 days and from what I can tell, it was tough work. He used a pneumatic chisel to get the tile up and demolished. Hauling it out was another chore. Then my floor installer told him he had to demo the 1/4" plywood under the tile and sitting on top of the subfloor. That didn't some out easy either with him having to circular-saw lot of it out and then dremel it out around all the cupboards and the island in the kitchen. But it's out. And now the floor installer said he can't schedule the install until the 1st week of April. That will give us time to move the dining room and living room furniture and demo the carpet in those rooms. Here's some of the work in progress
    mtf_SoNWg_367.jpg.jpg

jchrisk1 likes this.
  6. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    They did the demo the hard way. I demoed a kitchen tile floor and knew ahead of time the underlayment had to come up. Used a flat pry bar to lift the underlayment, took the underlayment and tile all at once. About 90 minutes for the whole kitchen, then clean up. To be fair I had already stripped the cabinets out though.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
    mrpackerguy likes this.
  7. jchrisk1

jchrisk1 Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Northern MI
    Looks good. That's my favorite style. Are you doing the work yourself?

8. mrpackerguy

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    The install is scheduled for 4/4. We are slowly moving out furniture. We still have 2 rooms of carpet to rip up. But we're very close to being ready. It is scheduled for 1 week of install, then 1 week of sanding, staining, buffing

9. sissy kathy

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    That's going to be very nice when you're done.

mrpackerguy likes this.
  10. mrpackerguy

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Well the demo is done. Subfloor exposed entire 1st floor. 3/4" solid hickory floor boards being delivered tomorrow. Install Tuesday - Friday. Then sanding, staining and buffing 4 days the following week. It's been a ton of work, but hoping it's worth it, from a Craigslist junk hauler hauling away a huge pile of demoed ceramic floor, wood, floor tack, carpet and other crap, to movers coming yesterday to move couches, furniture and appliances to the garage, to a complete kitchen repaint, dining room touch up, to BIN shellac sealer painted on cat pee stains yesterday and another coat today. Here's one before picture.
    IMG_20170402_132903003.jpg

Stewie26 likes this.
  11. mrpackerguy

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    probably not. We thought new would look better

12. mrpackerguy

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    good idea. We are definitely replacing the registers. They are in bad shape

13. sissy kathy

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    It won't make a lot of difference, the trim around the doors and windows won't match in any case unless he decides to change them too. Plinths on the door ways would really finish off the rooms nicely, but the room he has already paneled doesn't have then either.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
  14. mrpackerguy

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Are you guys saying we should try to match the new baseboard color stain to the floor stain? I was thinking that part of the beauty of the wood floors was that it didn't necessarily have to match the trim or other woods in the house. The doorway and fireplace trim, along with the oak staircase banister certainly is not going to match. Neither is the cabinetry in the kitchen which is roughly the same color stain as the living room trim. In the near future, we are, however, having painted all the kitchen cabinets white to go along with a small kitchen freshen-up which is including the new paint job (gray from yucky mustard yellow) and new granite or quartz countertops, along with the white painted cabinets.

15. sissy kathy

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    I'm not saying any such thing. I was commenting on the trim. The trim would look best if it matched that of the woodwork independent of the floors. The plinths at the mantel suggest the height of the baseboard; but usually with a baseboard that high, you normally have a plinth at each doorway also. When baseboards are that high the woodwork around the windows and doors are normally wider to match and carries through the whole house. I noticed that and saw other things that don't match up with your remodel and just kept my opinion to myself because 1) I don't know your complete plans, 2) I don't know your budget, 3) It's your house you can do what you want. I only spoke up when someone else offered an opinion that could drastically alter your budget/project.

IIRC the arts and crafts movement started the architectural movement to simpler trim work so the plinths at door ways may not even be warranted.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  16. mrpackerguy

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Thanks. I was actually thinking the baseboards should match the trim. They in all likelihood won't match the floors because we are wanting a darker floor stain than the trim color. Plus, it's completely different wood. The trim is all oak. The floors will be hickory.

17. I would not go too dark on the floors. We also have Hickory floors. The trim and doors are Alder wood. First time they stained them it was too dark and made the house gloomy. So they striped them and went just a few shades darker on the floor than the trim. It made a big difference.

20170403_081653.jpg

20170403_081509_000.jpg

18. mrpackerguy

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    gorgeous. You wouldn't happen to know that stain color would you. That's close to what we're thinking. My flooring company uses Bona stain.

19. mrpackerguy

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    These are the stain colors we are trying to match. The bottom picture even has the multi width boards like ours is going to be in a random pattern.
    41adf87e757eff189f87a4bfa7efa90c.png
    547f29dfaeb7d3def68756af33ffa522.jpg

Stewie26 likes this.
  20. Can't remember the exact stain color. It was 12 years ago. We had extra wood and did many different samples of staining before choosing. I can tell you that the final finish was a Satin finish. A gloss finish looks great when new but will show all scratches and defects as times goes by.
    I think our stain is a shade or two darker as your photo below. It is kind of hard to tell as monitor and camera exposure can bias colors.

ttp%3A%2F%2Fi19.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fb190%2Fmrpackerguy%2F41adf87e757eff189f87a4bfa7efa90c.png

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 31, 2021