Hardwood Floor Owners - advice sought

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by mrpackerguy, Dec 21, 2016.

Tags:
  1. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    That transition cap is the most professional looking option. You can also use a metal edger to serve as a break, but you have to put that in when you install the tile floor.

jchrisk1 likes this.
  2. jchrisk1

jchrisk1 Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Northern MI
    The space between the tile and wood floor, and also height differences, if any, will be a factor in which style of transition piece you need. Usually, you would only use grout caulk at entry doors.

MJ5150 likes this.
  3. IMG_20170701_065949964[1].jpg IMG_20170701_070041981[1].jpg

Here are a couple of photos from an Oak hardwood floor that we had added this summer. We had hardwood in two rooms on the main floor, and finished out the third room, then had the installer sand, stain and refinish all three rooms so they matched. They did a super job! The original room had 20 years of wear, and the second room was installed 8 years ago. The installers have all three as a perfect match, and the second room looks better than it did when it was installed! We went with the high bid which was about $2000 above the others, but their attention to detail was superb. We're quite glad we did.

MJ5150 likes this.
  4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    That's a great looking floor @Pilgrim, and good idea spending a little extra to get it done right. Smart move.
    Congrats on the Wazzu win too. I stayed up to watch it and was rewarded.

-Mike

5. We're really happy with it. Mike. One of the pix also shows a tile insert we had installed inside the door we use most often. That is working nicely too.

That Wazzu game was a wild one starting in the 4th quarter. Never been through a 3 overtime game before!!

6. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Yes, it's at the threshold where the ceramic til in the bathroom butts up against the hardwood floor but there is a seam and slight opening there.

7. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I'll take a quick picture tonight if I remember. I have to leave town on business tonight.

8. Wow, you wouldn't recognize that floor afterwards!! Cool!

9. Fleebag

Fleebag Quacker!

Sep 7, 2013
    Illinois USA
    You can just grout the tile right up to the wood floor for the cleanest look but you should have a clean factory edge on both the tile and the wood where they meet because they will be exposed, and they should be the same height as well. I don't care for reducers or thresholds but if the two floors are uneven you dont really have a choice.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 23, 2021