Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Harke 3500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by afroman, Sep 17, 2000.

1. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    I'm thinking of buying a Hartke 3500 Head.
    Anyone who has it or has played it, tell me your
    expirience with it.

Also, which cab should I team it up with: a Harke 4x10
    or a Carvin 4x10.

I'm on a budget guys.

Thanks...

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I had a 3500 head in an 1155 combo, and I liked it a lot. I sold it when I bought my Eden gear, but that was a mistake. It is a good amp for small to medium gigs. Very crisp sound with those aluminum cone speakers. You should try it with the Hartke cab.

3. I have used a Hartke 3500 for the last 4 or 5 years without any problems and like it very much.
    Recently I bought an Ashdown ABM500 which I also like a lot, but I am glad that I kept the 3500 which I still use 50 per cent of the time.

For the money I think the 3500 is unbeatable and holds its own with much more expensive amplifiers. It also seems just as powerful as my 500w Ashdown. I use the volume at 2 to 3 on the 3500, and 4 to 5 on the AMB, although it may be that the master volumes work differently. (If anyone knows more about this I would love to know.) :confused:
    I use the 3500 with a H. 410XL and H. 115 XL or a Mesa 1516BE and it is a great combination with both these speaker set-ups. If you use it with only one 4*10 8 ohm cab you will get 240w from this amp. I have never tried a Carvin 4*10 so can't comment on this cab.

Sound wise it is very clean but isn’t quite as deep sounding as the ABM at flat EQ settings, although that can be sorted with little adjustments if needed.
    IMO it isn’t quite as good as the AMB but for about half the price it’s outstanding.

4. I have been using a Hartke 210 combo for the last 9 years. it has the 3500 head in it and I like it very much. The only thing to watch for is cold solder joints on the circuit boards inside. the heads are mfg'd in part using "robotics" to perform the soldering. there is a tendency for the soldering to be a bit on the cold side resulting in brittle connections.

Performance wise it has tons of punch and plenty of headroom for my usage. For add'l muscle I hook up my Hartke 1x15 XL extension cab. For thew $$$ it's a good buy.

5. I'm another proud owner of the Hartke 3500.. but I need a new cab.. I'm leaning towards the hartke 410.. but back to what you wanted to know.. the 3500 is awesome! it beats so many heads with its price and quality! you'll be happy with it =)

-Willz

6. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Id recomend the Carvin RLT 4x10, They have a higher power rating than any of the Hartke 4x10 XL series cabs do. They also have a warmer deeper sound. They are also alot lower in price than Hartkes are. I paid $429 after shipping costs for mine. When I used to work for music stores I saw Hartke speakers returned more than any other brand sold. (all of which were for blown speakers or voice coils) The aluminum cones dont give so they cant absorb the shock and pressures that the paper cones do. At least thats what a tech told me.

7. I have one. Its a great amp. I have the 210 Combo. This amp has seen a lot of action in the last 5 years since I bought it new and its still going strong.

This amp has been commented on a number of times here. Do a search for even more commentary.