Harke DI - Useless?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Norwegianwood, Nov 3, 2004.

1. Hi

I have a Hartke HA 3500 head, and I have experienced some troubles with its balanced output/DI.
    I don't know if it is anything wrong with it, or if its just me. But when I plug an xlr-cable from the output to the mixer/pa on our practiceroom, the output is very low. I have to gain it up alot on the mixer, and that sounds terrible. Also, everytime I'm playing gigs, the sounds-engineers don't wanna use it. They always give me their Behringer DI instead :scowl:
    So I kinda got the feeling something's wrong with it, or it's just ****ty. I've considered to buy a sansamp DI, and use that instead. Have you got any experience with that one?
    Thanks in advance
  2. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    I use mine through our PA all the time. I just wish it had a variable output, but I don't have any actual problems getting plenty of sound out of it as is.

I find that most venues prefer running through their own DI boxes since they're used to dealing with those and know how to level them fast and sometimes(if you're lucky) well.

Are you the original owner? They've got the 3 year warranty, I'm gonna have to send mine in eventually to get a fan problem fixed(excessively loud, can't hear it when playing, but between it's annoying as piss).
  3. fcoda

Jan 23, 2002
    I run a HA4000 and have had no problem with the DI - double check your manual
  4. I had many problems with my 3500 but the DI wasn't one of them.
  5. Don't *most* amp makers use less than stellar DI's?

The DI's in my Seymour Duncan amps are excessively hot.
  6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Does yours have the pre and post switch? I have the HA5500 and mine has a pre and post switch. Does yours have a 1/4" line out? Try using that. I do get different reactions from different sound men. Some want to use their own passive DI box [or my Pro-Co DB-1], some will take a feed direct from my amp and some mic my cabs.
  7. craigers2

Sep 26, 2001

i've been using my 3500 head for 3 years, and my sound guy always just takes a line out of the back (output DI) without any problems. i've had some other issues with the head, but that is not one of them.

i think you might have to take your amp in to the repair guy :(
  8. Yeah, I do have a pre and post switch. But that's only for the EQ, right? I also have a ground lift button.
    I don't know what a 1/4 line out is, but behind there is only two speaker outputs, and one XLR(the DI). I plug straight from the output and on to the mic-input on our mixer. Then I get a very low input signal.

Thanks for all the answers. You guys are indeed very helpful!
  9. Yeah, my amp is only one years old, so that shouldn't be any problem.
    Thanks again.
  10. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I wouldn't use an amp's built-in DI through live PA unless it had a variable level. If it didn't, I'd just use a quality direct box, one that isn't very expensive, for much better results.
  11. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Use the DI on my 7000 all the time...no problems at all.
  12. Ok.
    As I've said, I've been thinking about the Sansamp. What do you guys think about that one?
  13. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    The Sansamp DI rocks...bottom line. I think everyone should have one in their bag...excellent tone shaping versatility and a great DI/backup should you have a problem with your rig.
  14. ADuck5150

Jul 31, 2004
    I'm currently rockin the Hartke 4000 head. I can't say there's anything wrong with its DI, but I use a DI box whenever I can...I just feel like its more reliable for some reason.