1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Harke Kickback 12 - speaker

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Fernando F, Aug 20, 2007.

1. the speaker of my kickback is diying and I need to change it.
    I´m thinking about putting an Eminence or a Celestion on it, what you think guys?
    I know it will sound different, but I want to know: will it sound better?

thanks
    :help:

2. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    I loved the aluminum driver. I used that amp for two years in jazz band, and they'll use it for years to come. That thing can cut through horns like no other.

What kind of context are you playing in? If you're doing some kind of jazz stuff I'd say stay with aluminum... if you're trying to do more of a rock thing, maybe go with paper.

3. I play pop, rock, classic rock. But I must confess I do like the tone of the aluminum it cuts easy on the mix with lots of mids.
    But I´m thinking about some change, cause I always loved the tone of the Eminence (fat, strong, powerfull). What I´d like to now is if it would sound worst, and if the paper cone matches with the hartke preamp.

4. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    NY
    An eminence Deltalite might work well in that box.

Do you find the Kickback 12 loud enough to compete with drums in a small club? Curious about how much volume you can get from one of these.

5. IanStephenson

IanStephenson UnRegistered User

Apr 8, 2006
    I've got the 10" and find that it can cut through against drums pretty well considering the size. I don't use it for gigs, but it's plenty for rehersal. Our drummer does dial back for rehersal, but he's LOUD anyway.

We're playing classic rock, so I still feel the need to drag out a full rig for gigs, but for a quieter kind of gig (especially if you have PA support), these are great little amps.

Ian

6. In a small club with a drummer playing with good dynamics it works, but if you need more volume you better consider other amp. I pushed mine too loud and now I damaged the speaker, the kickback is not very loud, it´s enough in certain situations and depending on the styles you play.

7. Through a series of unplanned events, and having to play on an unusually small stage in a room where the sound had to be tightly controlled, I ended up having to use my Kickback 12 to gig with, and yes, it can work nicely, if the type of music you're performing isn't the balls-to-the-wall variety, and the drummer can keep it under control. It is a compromise for sure, but it does the trick. When you have to play at a lower SPL, for me it's more effective to use a smaller amp turned up (within it's capabilities, of course) than a large amp turned down (IMO), provided you like the tone produced. The small footprint of this amp makes it a keeper. Unfortunately, I'm having a little trouble with this particular Hartke cutting out now and then. I may have to go through the circuitry and touch up most of the solder joints, unless it turns out to be something like the headphone jack being dirty or shorted.

8. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    Artist:TC Electronic RH450 bass system (original test-pilot)
    I like the tone of an Eminence.

9. figuredbass

figuredbass Supporting Member

Jul 11, 2007
    NYC vicinity
    I use this amp for smaller gigs and love the sound of the aluminum driver for the same reasons you do. The original driver is very efficient, so replacing it with something else may not wind up being as loud, defeating one of the Kickback's advantages of being pretty loud for its size and wattage. For example, when the Aguilar GS-112 first came out I A/B'd it to the Hartke's aluminum speaker (using the amp head and settings from the Kickback) and actually prefered the tone AND volume of the aluminum speaker, and its mid voicing.

As far as your concern of matching a replacement speaker to the Kickback's preamp goes, it may help to know that the Kickback's preamp is voiced flat with the tone controls set to 12:00. Only the the "shape" control voices the preamp, and only when it's engaged. There IS a little bit of roll-off in the bass beginning at about 50Hz, but this is not a voicing thing, but a protection feature (more of a sub-sonic filter) to preserve amp power and therefore make the amp sound as loud and clean as possible. So you might not really get that much more "fatness" with another driver, and you may lose the mid cut-through you already have and like. IMHO, I vote you stay with the aluminum driver.

10. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    That's an entertaining post.

WHICH Eminence model? You do realize that each Eminence model (Kappa, Delta, Beta, etc.) performs and sounds very differently from each other, and that even a Delta will sound different in different sized cabs with different porting, right?