Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Harley Benton 6 string Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by username:, Nov 2, 2004.

1. username:

username:

Apr 7, 2002
    Ireland
    hey,

i just discovered this bass, i must say it looks impressive, but i want to find out more about it before i buy it. so if anyone has any past experiance or info i'd love to know.

cheers

[​IMG]

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Haven't heard of it here in the US. It looks a lot like a Peavey Cirrus IMO.

3. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Yep, definitely has that Cirrus vibe..

4. Rico_2212

Rico_2212

Jul 6, 2004
    Dietzenbach, Germany
    Peavey Amps Club #64
    They're available in Germany from Musikhaus Thomann. The quality is incredible for the price. I have an acoustic guitar (Ovation copy) but haven't had a chance to try any of the basses yet. Word is though that they are great basses. You can check it out at

5. username:

username:

Apr 7, 2002
    Ireland
    yeah, thats where i saw it on thomann. i ordered a new guitar from them recently, and i was just browsing through the site. i couldn't believe my eyes when i saw the price; 400 euro for a 6 string neck thru bass.

there has to be some catch. i mean harley benton don't even have a web site

6. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Looks like a Peavey Grind 6.

7. Harley Benton is the in-house brand of www.thomann.de. They are manufactured in China, they propably come from same factories and production lines as numerous other cheapo brands. For example, www.musik-produktiv.de - another big German music store - has their own in-house brand called Collins. Some models look suspiciously similar to Harley Bentons...

As for quality, it´s a lottery. I´ve heard countless horror stories about warped necks, plywood bodies, crappy electronics etc. But I´ve also heard about true bargains and in fact have found one myself:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=144859

But my bass doesn´t necessarily have anything common with the bass you are thinking about. Chances are they aren´t even made in same factory!

Anyway, your bass is HB´s top-of-the-line model; one would think that´d mean better quality control, but who can really say? But there is one thing you should know. The bass in question happens to be one of Thomann´s "Hot Deals", meaning it is included in their Hot Deals-leaflet that they send periodically to their customers. What makes it interesting is the fact that all Hot Deals have a 30-day "Money Back Guarantee", no questions asked. You can read more about it here:

http://www.netzmarkt.de/thomann/thoiw2_faq_200.html

All in all, I cannot personally recommend that particular bass, since I have no experience with it. But I do recommend Thomann, I have ordered stuff from them numerous times and have had no problems. The Money back guarantee means you´ll only lose the shipping costs if you get a lemon. If you are willing to take that risk, it IS very nice looking instrument. I´d be interested in hearing more about it if you decide to give it a go.