Harley Benton 6 string Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by username:, Nov 2, 2004.

1. username:

Apr 7, 2002

i just discovered this bass, i must say it looks impressive, but i want to find out more about it before i buy it. so if anyone has any past experiance or info i'd love to know.

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Haven't heard of it here in the US. It looks a lot like a Peavey Cirrus IMO.
  3. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Yep, definitely has that Cirrus vibe..
  4. Rico_2212

Jul 6, 2004
    Dietzenbach, Germany
    Peavey Amps Club #64
    They're available in Germany from Musikhaus Thomann. The quality is incredible for the price. I have an acoustic guitar (Ovation copy) but haven't had a chance to try any of the basses yet. Word is though that they are great basses. You can check it out at
  5. username:

Apr 7, 2002
    yeah, thats where i saw it on thomann. i ordered a new guitar from them recently, and i was just browsing through the site. i couldn't believe my eyes when i saw the price; 400 euro for a 6 string neck thru bass.

there has to be some catch. i mean harley benton don't even have a web site
  6. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Looks like a Peavey Grind 6.
  7. Harley Benton is the in-house brand of www.thomann.de. They are manufactured in China, they propably come from same factories and production lines as numerous other cheapo brands. For example, www.musik-produktiv.de - another big German music store - has their own in-house brand called Collins. Some models look suspiciously similar to Harley Bentons...

As for quality, it´s a lottery. I´ve heard countless horror stories about warped necks, plywood bodies, crappy electronics etc. But I´ve also heard about true bargains and in fact have found one myself:

But my bass doesn´t necessarily have anything common with the bass you are thinking about. Chances are they aren´t even made in same factory!

Anyway, your bass is HB´s top-of-the-line model; one would think that´d mean better quality control, but who can really say? But there is one thing you should know. The bass in question happens to be one of Thomann´s "Hot Deals", meaning it is included in their Hot Deals-leaflet that they send periodically to their customers. What makes it interesting is the fact that all Hot Deals have a 30-day "Money Back Guarantee", no questions asked. You can read more about it here:

All in all, I cannot personally recommend that particular bass, since I have no experience with it. But I do recommend Thomann, I have ordered stuff from them numerous times and have had no problems. The Money back guarantee means you´ll only lose the shipping costs if you get a lemon. If you are willing to take that risk, it IS very nice looking instrument. I´d be interested in hearing more about it if you decide to give it a go.