Harley Benton just stealth released a new line of sub $300 (delivered) PJs/JJs on me

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TheIronMustache, Apr 19, 2022.

1. Great value here... Couldn’t risk not getting one so I just submitted my order for the blue 4 string JJ. $274 shipped to US

All I needed to see was ash body, roasted maple neck and dual action truss rod wheel but full specs for the 4 string below with links for those interested.

• Deluxe Series
    • electric bass
    • comfort body contour
    • body: ash
    • neck: Canadian roasted maple
    • neck mount: 6xbolt on
    • fingerboard: roasted maple
    • inlays: black dots
    • 24 medium jumbo frets
    • nut: ABS
    • nut width: 40 mm (1.57")
    • scale: 864 mm (34.02")
    • fingerboard radius: 241 mm (9.41")
    • 3-layer pickguard
    • pickups: 2 x Alnico-5 J
    • controls: volume, balance, tone
    • bridge: Wilkinson w/brass saddles
    • hardware finish: chrome
    • tuners: BY-823 diecast
    Harley Benton Launches JJ Basses
    Basses - Harley Benton

totalnoob, kimme, Bitterdale and 7 others like this.
  2. Lit311

Lit311

Jul 6, 2016
    Man… honestly… even just for the neck that’s a good deal.

3. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    These guys have more nice basses under $200 than any other company out there!

TrustRod, JRA, tindrum and 2 others like this.
  4. tubatodd

tubatodd

Oct 31, 2004
    Birmingham, AL
    These look like Aria clones but with a different neck. I like it!

tindrum and Nunovsky like this.
  5. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Congrats! :bassist:

Same here, I just stumbled onto these a couple of days ago - had no idea they released this new line.

Got this one on the way! Should be a great modding platform at the very least. :thumbsup:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

totalnoob, zapped777, kimme and 7 others like this.
  6. Snert

Snert

Oct 3, 2021
    I'll be interested in hearing your opinion on this as I'm looking at the same bass but the 5.

tindrum likes this.
  7. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Wow, jazz bass with 24 frets, roasted maple neck, 6 screws bolt on neck, contour neck joint, alnico V pup with active boost mode...... price tag less than USD 300.

My Bacchus BJB1RSM are Squier CV 60 J bass killer , now this HB jazz bass absolutely a new game changer in specifications at least.

On 5 string 550P , she has 9.4 fretboard radius which I think she has weak A output if the pickups pole piece are flushed.

Bacchus BJB1RSM and WJB 5 630rsm has 12 radius on fretboard which has better balance on string to string output on flushed magnet pole piece pup.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2022
    TrustRod likes this.
  8. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2022
  9. So it came in yesterday and I got about 30min with it before I had to head out again but I’ll leave my initial bullet points below.

Cons:
    • Preamp is OK
    • Seems the Preamp is boost only bass/treble though it does have center detents which could be misleading.
    • Treble at 10 is almost unbearably harsh
    • The hum is real. Probably the worst I have had but may be magnified by the preamp.
    Pros:
    • The finish is incredibly well done.
    • Neck is firmly seated very well in the pocket held in place by the 6 bolts.
    • Frets have no sprouting whatsoever. Extremely smooth and well assembled.
    • Neck finish is wonderful to play on.
    • All 24 frets are a breeze to maneuver with the body cut.
    • No unnecessary routing under pickguard so with a few bucks and a pack of blue dye (in my case) I can stain the pickguard screw holes and easily just leave the guard off.
    • Tuners are not bad. What you would expect.
    • String spacing is a slight bit wider than a traditional J which I am really fond of in this case.
    • Control cavity cover shielded very well and has plenty of room for modding.
    • Slide in battery compartment
    • Feels very solid in hand and seems like it could take a beating.
    The quick verdict is that while if blended 50/50 with the preamp completely disengaged it actually sounds quite nice, I would plan on a full replacement. I am throwing in a set of emgs, a BTC and an abcx. (Thanks for the control cavity and battery box HB - have already checked the EMG J Set and it is a perfect fit.) Other than the Electronics this thing is absolutely stellar for the price and even with the bass, shipping, pickups, preamp, active blend and a new set of strings I am into it for less than one of the new CVs… And it will be running circles around them.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2022
  10. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I'm probably getting the P/J version of this some time this summer. I don't need another P/J but these features are too nice.

tindrum likes this.
  11. Snert

Snert

Oct 3, 2021
    Good initial review. It'll be interesting to see how much, if anything changes with more playing time.

Thank you Lord.

tindrum likes this.
  12. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Well, heck I might just get the J/J, take the guard off, go passive and throw some Ultra Jazzes in there!

tindrum likes this.
  13. Snert

Snert

Oct 3, 2021
    I was thinking EMGs and one of my own active preamps myself.

14. DA592D8F-8005-4F4A-8365-BC0C8D5B06EA.jpeg E688F643-4F2E-4FC3-A868-E7127B337D6C.jpeg 9CA90573-E26A-40AE-9700-5B6E3019FCF4.jpeg 22B0511A-9497-44C7-80E9-8AEE954003E5.jpeg AA00B369-C5CB-4657-BD04-A3EFE652347A.jpeg 2AF64165-6075-4E2F-A419-2D9C25CA657E.jpeg 762BDAD6-1EB8-4BF4-BD52-662A69110087.jpeg

CallMeAl and Bitterdale like this.
  15. Snert

Snert

Oct 3, 2021
    That neck pickup rout is unfortunate. Maybe a white and make a white single ply PG for it.

Edit: or just rout both out to an EMG 40 or 45.

tindrum and TheIronMustache like this.
  16. 89BC046F-E80F-4973-9A8B-E61CF84ABD6B.jpeg
    It actually bothers me less the more I see it. At least it’s even with no cnc guide. It’s the unstained screw holes that get me the most. Gotta get the dye in here asap.

Half the battle I have with Js is the damn control cavity space and the inability to run without a guard. This guy actually checks quite a few boxes

17. Snert

Snert

Oct 3, 2021
    I'm with you on that. I have a great disregard for PGs and control plates. They make about as much sense to me as putting fake woody panels on a new Camaro.
    It will be interesting to see how invisible the PG screw holes become post dye.

18. Spoken like a true champion. That’s the exact reason I got that Pro Mod San Dimas that it’s hanging next to in one of the photos. Immediately ripped all the electronics out upon delivery and made it a ripper. I mean plus that toxic metallic green is just so loud lol.

The plan for the screw holes is something I have done in the past with success. I’ll actually dye wood shavings/saw dust and then pack the holes in layers alternating between that and an epoxy resin syringe. Once it’s cured i can use a hard rubber eraser or steel wool to take the shine off to match the satin of the finish.

19. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    That J neck route looks a lot like the P route in my HB enhanced MM/P:

PXL_20220407_181040377 smaller.jpg

Nice to see that whether they're made in Indonesia or China they're being consistent.

totalnoob likes this.
  20. Snert

Snert

Oct 3, 2021
    I love the colour too. I had a car like that once.

I was thinking something similar.

BTW, how is the weight, and what does the neck feel like? Where on the spectrum from Ibanez SR to half a baseball bat is it approx?

fourstringbliss likes this.