Harm in connecting amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Collin.A, Jul 9, 2005.

1. Collin.A

Jun 22, 2005
    Right now I am using a Behrenger Ultrabass BX600 and a Peavey basic 112 bass amp. I'm using a standard cable to connect the line out of the behrenger and run it into the input of the peavey. My question is will this hurt either amp and if so in what ways.
  2. Won't hurt either amp if connected like that, but keep the input level set low on the Peavey--use the -10db pad switch....Or better yet, plug in to the Peavey's "power amp in" jack.
  3. The proper way is to plug into the power amp in or effects return of the Peavey if it has that. If it doesn't then keep the input gain low and you should be fine. Just listen and be careful.
  4. The Basic 112 does indeed have a "power amp in" jack.
  5. Condor

Aug 31, 2004
    OK. I'm learning here. Not to be redundent but - if I have two amps, both of which have line in and out, I should take the line out from amp #1 and plug it into line in on Amp #2, rather than plug it into "instrument" in on amp #2?
  6. Yep, the line out is perfectly correct.

As far as where to plug in to the second amp: many amps including the Peavey can handle a "line level" signal coming in to the "instrument in" jack (provided the gain is kept very low, so as not to clip the preamp), but a few may not, and therefore the preferred choice (if available) would be to plug in to a line-level in.

I happen to have a Peavey Basic 112 and on the right side of the front, there's a couple of jacks for patching in and out. There's a preamp out (which is the line-level out) and there's a "power amp in" which is the line-level input. This bypasses the preamp and therefore is a little less noisy. So it's the preferred choice.

But again, the instrument input can be used but you should use the little pushbutton at the input for less gain (push it in or out, whatever, to make it quieter!! when you plug the other amp into it)

Note that on some Peavey combos, and I think the Basic 112 is one of them, the effects send and return jacks are NOT meant for connecting to other amps. The "effects send" isn't a full range signal--it's gone through a hi-pass filter, so there's no lows in the effects out signal. (I'd have to check my manual on this particular issue, I may be confusing it with my Peavey Databass combo--but either the Basic 112 or the Databass definately doesn't send a full-range signal into the effects out)

Hope this helps, I like my little Basic 112.
  7. Condor

Aug 31, 2004
    Thanks nashvillebill! I have two older Walter Woods amps that I want to power two 4 ohm (2x10) cabinets in tandem. The amps can only power one each at that ohm rating. I needed to know how to power (hook) them together without creating damage. These units are my livelihood.

Lots of regards! :)