1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Harmful "Noise Music"

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by David Kaczorowski, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Republicans target harmful "Noise Music"

By Jeffery Harmon, CNN Political Editor
    April 1, 2010 8:37 a.m. EDT

Stop The Noise
    STORY HIGHLIGHTS
    Conservative culture group wants to legislate music for family upliftment
    Donors who pay $25 or more will receive "Stop The NOISE" T-shirt
    Congressman Hezikiah Burnell (R-Utah) spearheads bill to outlaw music not meeting Cultural Panel's approval
    (CNN) -- A jubilant Hezikiah Burnell had just left a successful Congressional hearing yesterday where a bill was introduced to make it a misdemeanor
    "to compose, perform or produce any music not deemed having uplifting family values". The Republican congressman from Utah had rallied many conservative
    lawmakers to consider a sweeping intiative to legislate musical expression. "We have found a gradual decline in family values in our youth which is in direct
    correlation to their exposure to harmful music coming from urban areas", Burnell said. In a statement released by Burnell's organiztion, CODA
    (Congressional Oversight Defending the Arts) states "Rap, hip-hop and jazz music contains messages of elicit sex, drugs and profuse profanity often leading the
    nation's young people to question the notion of God, family and our nation. American music has been infiltrated by music from all over the world
    diluting our music and its core American values. Burnell explained "In fact there is a group of musicians in Chicago called the AACM whose total musical
    expression is the creation of music which has no rhythm, no melody and frankly sounds like garbage cans falling down a staircase. Our goal is the
    establishment of a Congressional Arts Panel empowered to review music from across the country and make recommendations to change melodies,
    harmonies and lyrics to fall in line with the moral agenda exemplied by the music of the Pat Boone, King Family and Anita Bryant". We have contacted
    Marie Osmand to act as our spokeman and explore the possibility of reaching out to hip hop and rap artists to produce a series of CDs embracing our
    ideal of uplifting music. Suggested songs titles for the new collaboration are "Baby Got Back-to Jesus", "What's Goin' On-ward Christian Soldiers"
    and a remake of Dizzy Gillespie's jazz classic "O Bop She Bam - Speaking in tongues for the Lord". CODA is embracing this intiative with the hope of raising some cash.
    Donors who give at least $25 will receive "a limited edition "Stop The NOISE" T-shirt in a super-soft, fine jersey (men's) or baby rib (women's) cotton fabric,"
    according to a new fundraising page posted Wednesday on CODA's Web site.
    RELATED TOPICS
    Music
    Organizing for America
    Republican Party
    Charles Jergens, a DNC spokesman, told CNN he thinks it is important for Democrats to highlight the importance of the arts and reform.
    "Music reform is a huge and historic deal that will benefit American families," Jergens said. "We and our supporters agree with the basic tenants of CODA
    - morality and music do need to be examined but we are concerned that a congressional panel is not the best way."

2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Baby Got Back To Jesus...LOL

3. jtlownds

jtlownds

Oct 3, 2004
    LaBelle, FL
    Hitler tried to do the same thing with jazz back in the '30s

4. music is one of the few things that cannot be suppressed. No law will stop peoples creativity and preferences.

5. itswac

itswac

Nov 24, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Endorsing Artist/Product Line Manager: Source Audio Effects
    you should look at the date of that article

6. Yerf Dog

Yerf Dog

Jun 29, 2009
    Carol Stream, IL
    Yeah, but can I still get a t-shirt? [​IMG]

7. That's what everybody wants to know!

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Stalin had a good try! :meh:

9. JMS Brooklyn

JMS Brooklyn

May 21, 2010
    I got an email containing this article on "noise music," which seems to be making the rounds among many musicians. But the only place I find this article on the Web is here, at Talk bass. I googled the names of people and organizations mentioned in the article and none of them checks out, as far as I can tell.

I can't find the article on CNN.com and there doesn't seem to be a "Jeffery Harmon, CNN Political Editor" there. I don't find a "Hezikiah Burnell" in Congress or in the Utah legislature. I googled Burnell's organization, CODA (Congressional Oversight Defending the Arts)--nada. Also googled "Charles Jergens, a DNC spokesman"--zip.

While it sounds stupid enough to be plausible, I think this article is a hoax, and will submit to Snopes. In the meantime, David K., how about letting us know where you got this info?

Thanks,

JMS Brooklyn

10. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    You know... I think you're right. :meh:

11. ctxbass

ctxbass Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Central Texas
    Mayday, Mayday.

12. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Can't stand it no mo.

Oh.... I'm pretty sure CRACKHOUSEKEY actually does exist, though.

13. ctxbass

Nov 6, 2003
    Central Texas
    :bag: Gee, I hope my attempt at humor was not too outside for you.

14. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Uhhhh.... so tired. so very tired.

15. Chris Symer

Chris Symer

Dec 13, 2009
    Seattle,Wa.
    ...........but I read it on the internets!!

16. ctxbass

Nov 6, 2003
    Central Texas
    No need for insults!:)

17. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui

18. Is that there keyboard guy on drugs?

19. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I would assume so, isn't everyone?

20. MR PC

MR PC Banned

Dec 1, 2007
    Pills and booze. Great tune though.

Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood" is a song written by Bennie Benjamin, Gloria Caldwell and Sol Marcus for the singer/pianist Nina Simone, who first recorded it in 1964. "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood" has been recorded or performed by many artists, and is widely known by the 1965 blues rock hit recording from The Animals.