Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

harmonic happy b-day tabs?

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by Mike Money, Sep 15, 2003.

1. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I need them so I can be cool and play happy birthday like a cool guy like WR. yes.

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    yes, just like me

I could tab it for you, but I highly recommend you figure it out on your own.

there are about 4 different ways I play it some more melodic, some more straight forward, it just depends whos birthday.

I'm kicking myself for FORGETTING to play it at wootcamp, as vic's birthday was right after camp.(sept 11th)
    oh well.

do you want me to tab it? or do you want to take a crack at learning it yourself first.

3. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    If you want to work it out yourself (definitely the best option in terms of improving your skills), I'd suggest starting by drawing up a chart that shows all the natural harmonics you can play written down in standard notation.

Now write down your tune and compare to your chart to see how many of the notes match up. If the answer isn't 'most or all' then you'll need to look at whether things improve by adjusting the melody, transposing to another key or supporting it with a few natural notes or artificial harmonics.

Wulf

4. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    I'd love to sit here and learn it, but I gotta play it tommorow... in Jazz Band we are gonna have a bass duel, and that is something that I need in my bag of tricks.

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Here you go...this is just ONE way to play it.

I think this one will work best for your situation, as it involves dropping to D in the end, and fiddling with your tuning pegs is always a crowd pleaser.

if you have any problems with this TAB tell me.

I'm not one for tabs, I don't really like making them, so I might have messed up somewhere.

remember this is just ONE way to play it, try and figure out some others.

6. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    el thank thee