1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Harmonic Materials Of Modern Music Resources Of The Tempered Scale... Anyone read it?

Discussion in 'Music Theory [DB]' started by DrayMiles, Dec 8, 2017.

1. DrayMiles

DrayMiles

Feb 24, 2007
    East Coast
  2. Don Kasper

Don Kasper Supporting Member

(Author) Howard Hanson was the director of the Eastman School of Music for about 40 years - 1920's - 1960's. This book was NOT used at Eastman as an Undergraduate Theory text when I was there in the late 70's, that I'm aware of. I'm not sure if it is a Theory text, a Composition text, or a compilation of compositional excerpts of other composers. (We used the dreaded/massive "Burkhart Anthology" text as a resource for analysis in Theory class.)

Here is what Wikipedia sez: In 1960, Hanson published Harmonic Materials of Modern Music: Resources of the Tempered Scale, a book that would lay the foundation for musical set theory. Among the many notions considered was what Hanson called the isomeric relationship, now usually termed Z-relationship.
    (???)
    I'd be interested in your evaluation, if you decide to purchase it.
    HH reminds me a bit of Aaron Copeland - here is an excerpt from his most well known piece -
    Symphony No. 2 in D-Flat Major Op.30, "Romantic" (1930) Used as the end-credits in the movie "Alien".
    (love the melodic #11's, and the Big Sus chords.)
    Thanks.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
  3. DrayMiles

DrayMiles

Feb 24, 2007
    East Coast
    Thanks Don,

I ordered it. I’ll let you know my opinion after it confuses me!

Don Kasper likes this.