1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Harmonic noise up the neck?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by steyr.caephus, Oct 23, 2010.

1. steyr.caephus

steyr.caephus

Jul 18, 2006
    Texas, USA
    So there was this older post from 2005 that did not seem to have a lot of useful follow up: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=165484&highlight=harmonic+noise

Anyway, from the looks of the thread, I think I am having the same issue. I have a MTD KZ6 6 string bass. I have tapered strings on it. I don't remember if this had been an issue all along as I only recently got decent enough to play up in the fret 15+ range.

So pretty much I get this harmonic noise on the fretted notes on the B, E, A, and D string fretting frets 15+. These are the only ones with tapered ends from the set. The G and C are just like the strings from regular bass guitar string sets.

Moving the pickups down did not seem to work, plus that would not make sense since I hear the harmonic noise unplugged as well. Does anyone know if these tapered core strings are sensitive to this effect? I noticed that the other bass I have with these tapered strings is string-through-body and less of the the taper is exposed. The bridge is not very long and I wonder if the shallow bridge is exposing too much of the taper and creating this issue.

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.