1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Harmonic Overtones

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by tb4sbp, Feb 22, 2018.

Tags:
  1. tb4sbp

tb4sbp

May 9, 2017
    North East
    Hello Everyone,
    Which type of string has the least amount of Harmonics/Overtone?

I had a set of XL nickels that had a very high overtones to them
    I changed them to DR lowriders but in my haste I got nickel lowriders so the result is pretty much the same.

So I am off to get another set of strings... but before I do
    In your experience(s) what round wound has the least amount of Harmonics/Overtone?

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks

2. Most so-called "nickel roundwound" strings are actually "nickel-plated-steel".
    For something warmer/mellower (ie less zing), you can try one with a "pure nickel" wrap, such as the GHS Balanced Nickels.

Duckophile likes this.
  3. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Let the lowriders break in for 10 hours or so of playing and the initial harshness goes away. In the meantime EQ out the frequencies you don't like.

4. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Flats.

But if you want some bite/zing, flats like EB Slink Cobalt Flats, Fender 9050s or Chromes may be what you are after.

If it HAS to be a roundwound, DR Jonas Helborgs Rounds have almost all fundamental. However, the E string has lots of finger noise.

I too find some rounds like LoRiders too ringy/too many harmonics out of the box. Some need break-in as suggested.

5. tb4sbp

tb4sbp

May 9, 2017
    North East
    I have heard good things about the Balanced Nickels, thanks

I have EQ-ed the heck out of it and even on the muddiest setting there is almost a false harmonic present
    But thank you
    I will give the low riders a while longer to see how the break in
    I just put them on this weekend so not too many hours on them yet

6. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    How is your pickup height?? Too close to the strings??

7. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz Inactive

May 26, 2010
    Give them some time to calm down and break in. A lot of strings are super zingy, bright and have a lot of overtones when they're new and calm down over a few days.

I'd also second checking your pickup height as well.

I exclusively play flats currently, but I've really liked GHS Boomers and Fender 7250's for a round wound string that's not overly bright and strident out of the pack and have a warm tone for a round wound string.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 17, 2021