Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

harmonic tabs

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by duo8675309, Jun 6, 2005.

1. duo8675309

duo8675309

Jun 5, 2005
    are there any good harmonic only or harmonic majority songs out there? i love harmonics but i want to play a good song with them and I suck at writing songs. :bawl:

2. metallutca

metallutca

Dec 18, 2004
    Malaysia
    Try Amazing Grace by Victor Wooten. A 'fun' song to learn and play :smug:

3. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

The thing with "Amazing Grace" is that, if you want to play it exactly like Vic does, you need a tenor bass (tuned C-G-D-A high to low). For (I think the best) harmonics-based song played on a regular 4-string, try Jaco Pastorius' "Portrait Of Tracy".

4. I really can't imagine playing that song with harmonics in CGDA tuning, I've seen a video of him playing it and im prety sure this tab http://www.mxtabs.net/tabs.php?path=Bass,v,2796,Victor+Wooten,Amazing+Grace,125099 is correct, that is how i play it - Standard tunning

5. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Hmm... well, the only version I know is the "Live At The Quick" one, which is played on a tenor bass. Maybe he played it different at first? Please let me know. I'd be glad to know if it was done on a standard-tuned bass, because it's a cool tune which never tried to study because I thought it wouldn't work with standard tuning (maybe not so clear because it sounds a fourth lower).

6. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Amazing Grace is transcribed in the Wooten book and Portrait of Tracy is in one of the Jaco books as well.

7. what wooten book?

8. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

This one. (Never seen it, though)

9. metallutca

metallutca

Dec 18, 2004
    Malaysia
    He also played Amazing Grace in BassDay '98 using his standard tuning YinYang Fodera. I myself played it using my standard tuned bass. It still sounds good :smug: but not as good as Wooten of course :D

10. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    +1

There's so much that can be taken from that song, just the first 20 seconds probably the best harmonic exercise out there. Awesome song.

Oog :D

11. Amerika by Jaco is also a cool song for natural and pinch harmonics. Dont know where a decent tab is though and no way im tabbing it myself!