1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Harmonics & Fingerpicking

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by project_c, Oct 29, 2010.

1. project_c

project_c

May 8, 2008
    London, UK
    I bought Dean Peer's Bass Harmonics book today, and the excercises within this book require a whole new right hand approach. (new to me, anyway).

The technique is not explained in any detail, there's 1 photo with not much more than 'this is how your hand should be' as an explanation. On the photo, the thumb is plucking the E string, finger 1 is on the A, finger 2 on D, and finger 3 on G. From what I can tell, this '1 finger per string' is the approach required by this book.

This technique feels really weird, but I'm willing to learn it if it is genuinely useful and will benefit my playing.

My question is to anyone who uses harmonics /chords built from harmonics frequently:
    - When you play chords using harmonics, do you switch to this technique, or do you just keep using standard fingerstyle?
    - If you do NOT use this technique, what right hand technique do you use to hit 2 or 3 harmonics at the same time?

2. if i am to hit multiple harmonics at once, or some chord that is a combination of fretted notes and a harmonic or something, i tend to just use double stops, but kind of pull away so as to get more nail on it. a downward flamenco-esque strum with the nail down is also something i find easy enough an effective.

3. Mayers

Mayers Guest

Sep 28, 2007
    If we are talking natural harmonics : yes, it is the way classical guitar is played and it is really confortable. If we talk about false harmonics then : no this position won't do it.