Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Harmonics for the Stupid

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by TaySte_2000, May 11, 2004.

1. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    OK purely for me. I can do harmonics both natural and artificial but I have no idea what note I am playing and what octave its in as such.

Can I have a really simple non physics answer to this. You know, like fifth fret on the g string is this note .... because... and if you go up to the seventh fret it's.... because....

Cheers Steve.

BTW is the fish on the new album to be.

2. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Steve,

I'm sure somewhere on line there'll be a chart of where they all are, the first few are -

fret relationship to root
    12th - octave
    7th - 5th up one octave
    5th - double octave
    4th - major third
    just in front of 3rd - 5th up two octaves
    etc. etc.

they get increasingly 'out of tune' as you go up, which is one of the things that gives harmonics their characteristic sound...

beyond that, just play what sounds nice.

:D

re: the fish, I still haven't got round to having a go at it - I was kindly sent an MP3 of it, but haven't even had a chance to listen to it. There may well be a cover or two on this CD - probably my little arrangement of 'People Get Ready' which I've been doing live recently...

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Isn't that because they don't relate to fret positions as such, but rather, sub-divisions of working string length?

4. Fantastic - thanks from me...

5. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Thanks for that that was just what I needed. Great guide you should have it posted in the technique forum sticky so that everyone can see.

Very Very useful.

6. Thanks! I have posted that harmonics info and also other info about and from that site in General Instruction from time to time. The site isn't so much about technique but theory. It shows you what harmonic notes can be played but not how to play them. ;)

- Dave