Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Harmonics

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by FutureForceNow, Nov 9, 2004.

1. FutureForceNow

FutureForceNow

Aug 11, 2004
    Hey, can anybody help me out with harmonic notation? I don't really understand it, and I'd like to be able to write some passages that I've come up with on my bass down.

2. FutureForceNow,
    I'm no expert on the subject. To my knowledge however the notation goes like A.B where A and B are numbers and B is strictly between 1 and 10. The first number indicates the fret that you place your finger over. The second number indicates where (after the fret marked with A) you place your finger. For instance, 2.3 would indicate a placement of your finger roughly 3/10 after the second fret. Try this on the 4th fret. Slightly after the 4th you get one harmonic. Move a bit closer to the 5th fret you get another. Is this what you were looking for?

3. Here is a page discussing the topic. I like the Elliot Carter method. You notate the fretted note as usual, mark the note to be touched with a diamond note head which is connected to the note stem as any other note would be, and a little tiny note head in parenthesis up above to mark the note sounded.

4. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Excellent! Thanks, Man; I learned a ton from that site!

Joe

5. FutureForceNow

FutureForceNow

Aug 11, 2004
    Thanks a bunch guys, that site is awesome!

6. Aye, I had heard of doing artificial harmonics in this fasion, but I had never quite figured it out or inquired about it. (Did I just say aye? owell) This is real helpful. That thing about the maj 2 and perfect 4 harmonics together make a 6th. I gotta try that with someone.