Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Harmonics

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by SunShine, Jan 7, 2005.

1. I'm having some problems with my everything that isn't right on a fret. My 3.8 3.2 2.8 2.6 2.3 2.2 2.1 1.8 and 1.2 are all really sloppy and hard to hear. Will the quality of my bass effect that sound or is it some mistake in how I'm hitting them?

2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Those harmonics are difficult on any bass. Try a few things:

new strings
    roll off the bass
    use a very light touch and turn up the volume. Don't try to pluck hard, it doesn't work

The bass could have something to do with it, but seing as those harmonics are difficult in the first place, work on your technique first.

Mike

3. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    You might also consider where your plucking with your right hand. Sometimes some adjustment on that end will help them ring through better. Also, some basses the bridge pup works best for harmonics, might try soloing that pup if you can and play right over the top of it.

4. AlembicBob

AlembicBob

Dec 28, 2004
    MA, US
    You will generally get better harmonics off of the bridge pickup, or off of wide-aperture pickups. Those low harmonics will potentially have node points over the top of your neck pickup. The node being a spot where the string isn't vibrating, there's nothing for the pickup to capture there. Wider aperture pickups would be more likely to see a part of the string that is vibrating, and almost all harmonics are vibrating down where the typical bridge pickup lies.

5. Jpat

Jpat

Mar 13, 2005
    Leonardville Kansas
    I've discovered that for me it is not only technique, but also the pickups. I had a Fender Jazz Frettless, and it picked up everything. However, I also had a cheap 5 string that couldn't pick up anything because the pickup wasn't strong enough, and wide enough to cover the strings. So all the low end and high end kind of fell off. Lighter touch helps. :bassist: