Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

harmonics

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by paz, Jun 27, 2001.

1. paz

paz Banned

Jun 26, 2001
    Seaton, Devon, England
    can anyone tell me what harmonics and artificial harmonics are

Rob McGovney was better than Cliff Burton.

2. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    I respectfully disagree with your statement about McGovney and Burton.
    IMHO Burton was a much better bass player.

Also I don´t see how this statement relates to your question about harmonics..?!?!?!?

3. Harmonics are when you put your finger over a certain point, for example the part of the string above the 5th or 7th frets, but don't press the string down. Just let it rest on the string above the point.

Artificial Harmonics are when you fret a note, for example the 2nd fret or a string, then rest the index finger of your right hand on the 7th position of the same string, to make a harmonic, then pluck with your ring finger. This way, you can make a harmonic anywhere.

This is at least what I think they are, I could be wrong.

4. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I also disagree with this statement. Also, I think you meant Ron McGovney, not Rob.

5. paz

paz Banned

Jun 26, 2001
    Seaton, Devon, England
    hategear you have made a fool of me.

But nevermind, i know burton was the best

The master of bass.

6. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
    IMHO?

7. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
  8. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
    ahhhh, that explains a lot ;)

9. kake_eater

kake_eater Guest

Jun 26, 2001
    over there
    if youve ever heard mudshovel by staind....those are harmonics... the way i do it is i put my finger barely touching the string. turn on distortion and slide down to make it go higher and slide up to go lower. i use a pick cause you can do like 16th notes to make it sound smooth

10. And the make harmonics osund more full, pluck (with your finger, its sounds a lot fuller without a pick) near the bridge, and If you have 2 pickups, use the bridge one. Although I can play harmonics on my P, it sounds better on the J with the bridge pup soloed.

For artificial harmonics, you fret the 2nd fret with your index, "fret" the harmonic with your pinky at the 6th fret, and play the note with you right hand near the bridge, its real hard, but it can be done (Jaco uses this same harmonic in Portrait of Tracy) There are many more artificial harmonics, experiment, theyre fun to play.

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Jaco mostly used his thumb for artificial harmonics and it's not that hard as long as you remember to keep the thumb on your right hand resting on the string "12 frets" above where you are fretting with your left - well that's for octaves anyway. He demonstrates this technique quite clearly on his "instructional" video.

12. I prefer using the index "12 frets above" and plucking with the ring finger as it gives a fuller sound because of the greater distance between index and ring compared to thumb and index. I also find this technique easier and more precise.

13. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well, this tend to be the way that Guitarists do it (boo hiss!! ;) ) - I think it's easier with the thumb on bass and there is absolutely no discernible difference in sound, I've tried it - but anyway Jaco did it with his thumb so if you're talking about what he did (as we were!) then, you might as well do it the same way!

14. <i>there is absolutely no discernible difference in sound"</i>

You should try it again, Bruce. Differences in sound is obvious between the two techniques.

with the thumb, you get that tinny sound, similar to overtone made with thumb and pick on a guitar. That's how Jaco did it and that's the kind of sound he got.

With the index, the sound is much closer to a natural harmonic. Actually, on a fretted, with no vibrato, you can't tell between this technique and a natural harmonic. At least, you souldn't be able to tell the difference. Classical guitarists have done it for years, so they must be something right about it.