Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Harmonics?...

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by chips, Feb 7, 2006.

1. Okay, let me in on ANYTHING to do with harmonics. I know how to make natural harmonics. But what are pinched and artifiicial harmonics, and how do i do them?

Peace
    Blake

2. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I love harmonics on bass and seem to use them more than anyone I know. Something I accidentally came across recently are Tapped Harmonics.

They way you do them is by fretting a note (5th, 7th, 9th work well) with your left hand and tapping with your right. It is key where you tap with your right. For the easiest tones, try tapping around 12th fret and 14th fret. With this technique you can get a lot of beautiful sounding harmonics and chords.

3. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    Natural harmonics occur at the nodes of the string. Those are places on the string that are subdivisons of the string ie Half, which would be the 12th fret of an open string, 7th, 5th which is quarter of the entire length of the string

I don't love the term artifical harmonics because they are not artificial. All that means is these are harmonics that don't occur on the nodes of open strings in normal tuning. Artificial harmonics are create by; fretting a note, now the string has been shortened because by fretting it you are shortening the length of the string, by placing your finger on the new nodes you can create additional notes available as harmonics. If you fretted the third fret on the E string (G) the new octave node will be the 15th fret. If you fretted B on the A string, the new octave harmonic will be on the 14th fret on the A string.

How do you get the note to sound??
    This is done a couple of ways; use the index finger on the right hand (assuming your playing a righty bass) to touch the string at the node and plucking the string with the second or third finger or using the side of the thumb on the node and using index, second or third to pluck.

Actually there is a lot more and some additional techniques but this is a start to helping you understand the concept.

4. thanks guys.

im off to practise :smug:

5. wRaith

wRaith

Aug 22, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    The first song I listened to when I got interested in harmonics was Disposition by Tool. Unfortunately, there are other effects in there that can make it a little more difficult to really get your head around the harmonics for the first little while, but it's really a nice song. A good one to learn to get used to transfering from a fretted note to a harmonic and back again.