Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

harmonics

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by warwickben, Feb 20, 2003.

1. this mite of been done befor. lets make a list of every place tere is a harmonic, and every way to lay a harmonic.

right now all i know is there harmonics at the 12th ,7th ,5th, 3rd , and close to the 4th and 3rd fret. the way i play them is putting my finger tip on the string and lifting up after i pluck the string.

i know there othere ways to play harmonics so please list them.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  3. thats good but it doesnt explain how to play every one. and all the diffent ways to play them.

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I'm a little confused, they're all natural harmonics, which are all played in the same way.

There are different ways to play artificial harmonics, but since you can play those everywhere on the fingerboard, you don't need a chart for those.

Artificial harmonices are played like this:
    You fret a note in the usual way, and when you pluck the string you place a right-hand finger (most cases either thumb or index finger) on a harmonic node on that string - e.g. half-way between fretting finger and bridge.

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Man, I used to be interested in getting diagrams and stuff to know all the harmonics, then I realized I knew them all ;) and what's more, there are so many, and there are so many ways to hit them all, that more than half the fun is figuring ou tnew ways to hit a harmonic, granted some ways of hitting harmonics are unorthodox and don't sound out quite as clear as more orthodox methods, its still fun to experiment.

whats more If you don't have a particular natrual harmonic that you want, just change the tuning of your bass and get it ;)