Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Osama_Spears, Aug 31, 2003.

1. Hello...

I have a fretted 4 string...and I've been trying out some harmonics...and I can't seem to get a nice rich harmonic...they always come off as ghost notes and mutes...can someone help me? thanks!
  2. yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Check out this lesson on bass lobster, it has listings of where to play them and what note they are.

It discusses how to 'get' harmoincs so that should help, if not re-ask on here and we're (TB collective) bound to come up with some ideas.
  3. Is your intonation properly adjusted on your bass?

Do you strike the harmonic exactly on the right spot?

Do you immediatly remove your finger from the string to let the note ring?

I see you have a small amp, maybe this is your only problem! Some amps just can't do harmonics justice.

Hope this helps! :)
  4. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Adding to Dave's ideas (all of which are good), don't roll too much treble off the sound. What we call a 'harmonic' is the string vibrating with the lower frequencies damped out. Whereas you could kill off everything above, say, 250Hz and still play a lot of basslines (for reference, 220Hz is the lowest frequency produced when playing A at the fourteenth fret on the G string), harmonics are made of higher frequences and so turning the tone knob (ie rolling off the highs) on your bass down will make them much less audible.

New strings also help - the higher frequencies more affected by the stiffness that comes with age and dirt in the windings. You should be able to hear the harmonics clearly (certainly up to the ones at the fourth fret) even when unplugged.