Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Harmonizing pedal.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by gkirkin, Dec 19, 2005.

1. gkirkin

gkirkin

May 23, 2005
    London
    Im looking for a pedal like an octave, but one that can also produce 3rds and 5ths. Does anybody have any experience of these, is it worthwhile? Would i be better just sticking with a straightfoward octaver??

2. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Yep, +1 on the Digitech Whammy IV.

3. I have a Boss HR-2 and no one in their wildest dreams would EVER use it as an octaver - unless they were deranged, deaf or deranged AND deaf. It sounds horrible! I only use it for the detune effect.

Whammy, well... yeah... but overkill if all you want is an octave. OC-2 or EBS Octabass would be my picks.

4. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    He wants 3rds and 5ths too.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Whammy does the trick, but it tracks kinda wierd sometimes.

6. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    You know people say that, but I've been Whammy-ing it for about 5 months now and I've NEVER had a tracking problem with the acception of playing 2 octaves or 3 octaves down but that's just ridiculous.

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yeah, I went in with high hopes, but ended up leaving with a faint taste of ick in my mouth, after making the GC goon climb all over everything to plug the whammy in, I was less than satisfied with the tracking.

Mind you I was playing with a Bongo, the high output might have something to do with it. Petary, what kind of basses do you play through it?

8. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Huh? :eek:

9. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    An active Brawley Artemis 6 string. Not sure how "hot" it is. One 9V battery with a 3 band EQ.

10. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    What's a Brawley? I never took you for an ERB wanker Pet. :bassist: Nothing wrong with that though.

FWIW, I never had tracking problems with my Whammy either.

11. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    You missed a few words. I asked the GC goon if I could try one, he got out a brand new one, took apart the BOSS display to find a place to plug it in so I could play through a bass amp. Nice guy, wish I coulda given him the sale.

Just not worth $199 to me.

12. yes, but:
    IMO, yes he would. I own the HR-2, I have owned a Whammy, but I use the OC-2 far more than I ever use(d) either of the others.

13. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    +1.

Love mine.

14. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Curious- I use an active bass too.

IIRC, tpylons uses a passive. I wonder if that's it because opinions seem to be all over regarding this pedal.

15. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Hahah. Brawley is made by Keith Brawley who used to work at Fender and PRS. I wouldn't say wanking... i'd just say I like playing multiple octaves. :p

16. exactly...thats why i paid 25 bucks for mine...anyways, i agree the tracking isn't good, but its got a really distict sound, so i kinda like it!
    you will always know when someone is using a whammy!