Harmony bass H-22

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jerry J, Apr 26, 2001.

1. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I know that most of the folks here are probably going to scoff at this but I think that I'm going to pick up a mid 60's Harmony Hi-Value hollowbody bass. I found several at a shop and dinked around on them. They sound so close to a standup bass, real thumpy and deep, really lo-fi. I'm sure they have to original flatwound strings on them.

As it turns out I went to one of the local blues jam sessions and the main bass player was using one of these. He had great tone that really worked with the music. I talked to him at the break about his bass. He said that he just loved it. As it turned out he begged me to get up and play a set. I got a little lost on it since it's a short scale and has no fret markers on the side of the fretboard, but I managed. I also found that you have to play close to the pickup to get that tone.

Does anyone know much about these other than they were cheap originally?
  2. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    The H-22 are cool instruments. I have seen some with a two way tone swtich and some with a four way tone switch...both versions identical other then how many different tones come out of the rotary knob. I have a late 60's double cutaway version (H-27) and would love to find a reasonable priced single cutaway H-22! Where is that music store, and how many did they have?

3. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I picked up the Harmony. It's so cool. I'm not going to be able to run it through my amp for another week since I'm stuck in a hotel room but since it's a hollow body I can still play it. This things tone is the closest I've heard to a standup bass. Lots of fundamental tones and almost no sustain.

It has the two way switch which is kinda interesting. It also has that really cool Stealth shaped pickguard and if you look throught the F-holes the wood is birdseye maple. It also came with the case which is cheesy.

I got it at Guitarzan Guitars in Garland, TX. They have two more left.
    (Please note that I'm away from my home computer so I can't receive emails. I'll be home next Friday)
  4. I have a H22 that I use on a lot of traditional coutry recordings and it sounds great. I also use the tone switch to record tic tac bass parts using a pick.