Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Harmony Centrals Golden Axe Awards

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassMan2000, Jul 16, 2001.

1. BassMan2000

BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    Canada
    I've been there and seen the basses and how they ranked what do you guys think?

2. Golden Axe ?? isn't that the whoop-arse computergame from the mid 90's ? :D

3. CYoung

CYoung

Nov 30, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    Is it just me, or are most of the basses in their 'best value' category WAY out of most people's price range? I mean, $3k for a bass is not even close to my budget!

4. BassMan2000

BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    Canada
    yea thats what I think to... but theirs no GL L2000 or ASAT weird

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well it depends what you're looking at - if you mean the "Bass Unlimited" category :
    http://www.harmony-central.com/Newp/WNAMM00/Golden_Axe/Bass_Unlimited/

Then these are as I would have expected, although not necessarily exactly in that order.

On the best value range, then I can see that they are still looking for the best basses, but under $3,000; as the unlimited range is $3,000 or over.

I do believe that the smaller manufacturers will give you most bass for your money - "best bang for buck"! Of course the thing is that they then can't afford to distribute these as widely as the big factory manufacturers, so people are more likely to have seen a G&L than most of these mentioned, but it doesn't mean the bass is any worse because it's less common - it's usually the other way round!

6. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Yeah I have to agree, the value category is looking mighty pricey.

Maybe they should have gone for a 3 tier approach.

7. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

Much as I love the L2000 I had thought the "Golden Axe" awards were for a particular show. Like there were "Golden Axe" awards for last years Summer NAMM and Winter NAMM and maybe for the Musikmesse. So they are "best of show" type awards for new and/or different things - so even though the L2000 is a great bass it's not by any stretch of the imagination new or different.

8. BassMan2000

BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    Canada
    so whens the nexted awards ?

9. Yeah, what's up with that? 5 of the 10 basses in "Best Value" were priced:

$2370.00
    $3300.00
    $2243.00
    $3124.00
    $3200.00

:eek:

Not exactly what comes to mind when I think 'best value'. Thanks Harmony Central. :rolleyes:

10. BassMan2000

BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    Canada
    yea me I don't understand that....

11. They had a gold plated guitar in the best value once... can someone explain that to me? I don't mean gold hardware, I mean the entire instrument.

12. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    look at the best bass from 1999 :D

13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I knew you'd do that, you glory hound!:D

I want one of those spalted top Zon Lightwaves, in fretless 6.:)