1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Harmony H-22 and case for said bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by seven-7, Dec 12, 2002.

1. seven-7

seven-7

Dec 3, 2002
    Hi, y'all.

I have a '64 Harmony H-22 "stealth 'guard" bass. You know, like the one that Muff Winwood used in the Spencer Davis Group. Problem is, I need a case for it, preferably a hardshell. You see, it's got a big lower bout (16" or 17", I can't remember) and it will not fit in gig bags or cases for Ps and Js. I know I could get a custom case made (i.e., Calton, etc.) that would fit it, but I'd rather not pay big $$$ for a custom made case. Does anyone know where I could get something that would fit it "off the shelf"?

Thanks,
    Chris

"When in doubt, crank it!"

2. seven-7

seven-7

Dec 3, 2002
    <bump>

3. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I have one of those basses. It's way cool! I'm pretty sure that it even has the original flatwounds on it. THUMP...THUMP...THUMP...for days. You ought to hear this thing through a '64 Ampeg B-15.
    :D

Mine came with the original chipboard case. Real cheesy. I bought the bass in Dallas,TX when I was on a business trip. I was going to carry it on the plane and when I got to the bus, at the car rental lot, the driver decided to help me with my luggage. She grabbed the bass and the case came undone. Fortunately, I caught the bass before it bounced on the sidewalk.

I would not recommend the original case. It's not much more than vinyl covered cardboard. I'm sure if you got it wet it would fall apart. You might try a gig bag for an acoustic bass, like from Tacoma. It would offer significantly more protection.