Harmony H-22 and case for said bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by seven-7, Dec 12, 2002.

1. seven-7

Dec 3, 2002
    Hi, y'all.

I have a '64 Harmony H-22 "stealth 'guard" bass. You know, like the one that Muff Winwood used in the Spencer Davis Group. Problem is, I need a case for it, preferably a hardshell. You see, it's got a big lower bout (16" or 17", I can't remember) and it will not fit in gig bags or cases for Ps and Js. I know I could get a custom case made (i.e., Calton, etc.) that would fit it, but I'd rather not pay big $$$ for a custom made case. Does anyone know where I could get something that would fit it "off the shelf"?

"When in doubt, crank it!"
  2. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I have one of those basses. It's way cool! I'm pretty sure that it even has the original flatwounds on it. THUMP...THUMP...THUMP...for days. You ought to hear this thing through a '64 Ampeg B-15.

Mine came with the original chipboard case. Real cheesy. I bought the bass in Dallas,TX when I was on a business trip. I was going to carry it on the plane and when I got to the bus, at the car rental lot, the driver decided to help me with my luggage. She grabbed the bass and the case came undone. Fortunately, I caught the bass before it bounced on the sidewalk.

I would not recommend the original case. It's not much more than vinyl covered cardboard. I'm sure if you got it wet it would fall apart. You might try a gig bag for an acoustic bass, like from Tacoma. It would offer significantly more protection.