1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Harmony H22/1 with BOUND fretboard

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GlennW, Mar 10, 2009.

1. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
  2. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Gee. I wonder if it is a reissue, or a 1964 Harmony bass...;) ;) ;)

I am very doubtful that this is anything but an RI. It is brand new. Simply sitting in a case exposed to the Earth's atmosphere for 45 years would transform all finishes, metal surfaces, plastic parts, laminations, wire insulation, etc.

The binding doesn't remind me of my friend Bill Russell's Harmony H22, which I was fortunate enough to have played many times in 1964 and 1965 (through Bill's home made upholstered cab with a 15" Jensen, and a Bogen 50 watt tube amp). I think the term we used was "Wild!" :p

PS, I now realize...doh! that you are wondering why the binding, not is this vintage...lack of sleep is my plea...:p :p :p

3. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    I think it's the real thing. The RI's don't have those tuners, slotted screws, or the little white parts on the pickup. Also the round knobs and toilet flusher handle have aged differently which is normal since they're made from different stuff. The RI's have also have too many screws in the pickguard. I'd guess it's one of the later ones, '70-'71.

http://harmony.demont.net/guitars/H22/1/111.htm

4. Yeah that's definitely an original. The only bass still on my EXTREME WANT list.