Harmony Hollowbody Bass, Need Help!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by skit_skittson, Mar 20, 2002.

1. My friend has this really old Harmony Hollowbody bass. Does anyone know anything about these? Anyways, I'm going to fix it up and upgrade some things on it. The tuning pegs this thing has are insane. They are little guitar tuning pegs and they don't stay in tune at all. I want to drill bigger holes and install some vintage looking bass tuners. The nut needs replacing so I will probably put a bone one in. The electronics need fixing but I'll probably work with those when I get the thing. And last but not least, the bridge needs replacing. If anyone can give me information on basses like this or on how I should go about fixing it up, reply to this or email me at enjoyincubus2003@hotmail.com.
  2. I have a Harmony H-22 sunburst bass, it is a short scale hollow body bass with a single cutaway and a DeArmond pickup. These are sweet basses but I would caution against trying to 'modernize' it as there is some historical/ vintage value as it is. Mine still has the stock tuners but I have carved a rosewood bridge that is compensated to play more in tune and that is really the only change I have made. I use this bass for recording pretty regularly for songwriters looking for a 'vintage' country tone.
  3. I'm not worried about the vintage value of the bass. My friend and I just want it to sound good. What strings would be best on it, flatwounds or roundwounds. We're going for a very country/dub/reggae sound.
  4. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Wow Skit, a fellow Missourian. I was born in Independence.

I also have one of those basses. Mine is all original. Even the tuners. Man, don't touch them. Paul McCartney had trouble with the tuners on his old Hofner and he didn't change them. That's just part of the charm of the old bass. I still have the original flat wounds on mine. ;) Lots of fundamental thump but almost no harmonics. It's a fun bass to play and drives amps crazy. It looks really cool with one of those old skinny leather guitar straps.

I'd say play it for what it is.
  5. I have a set of D'Addario Chromes and they sound just right. One thing is if you have the same bass that I do you will need to use a long scale set even though it is a short scale bass due to the string length from the bridge to the tailpiece.