Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Harmony. How do i find it?

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by lpbassics, May 8, 2002.

1. lpbassics

lpbassics Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    WI
    Greetings Mr. Dimin,

I've got a few questions concerning harmony.

How should i go about coming up with good harmony lines fast? How should i be using theory and such to aid me? How should the style of music affect (effect?) the a harmony line? I usually play rock, but am also active in a jazz/blues combo, and like to play any style! So was wondering if i should use a different way to find a harmony for each.

I can usually come up with a harmony in my head and sing them (usually just a harmony to the lead singer... i'm not sure if this is what i should be going for on bass), so is it just that i need more interval work and such so i can put it on the fretboard quickly?

thx a lot!
    lp

2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. It has been a hectic few weeks. The fact that you can sing the harmony line is great. There is an old saying, "if you can sing it, you can play it!"

To use theory to help, learn all the notes of each chord, create a bass line that moves in a linear fashion using notes of the chord as a "landmark". For example, take the chord progression

C, G, F, C (I,V,IV,I)

C= c,e,g
    G= g,b,d
    F= f,a,c
    C= c,e,g

Now you can create a melodic, interesting bass line by finding notes of these chords that create a line, for example you can create a line like c,b,a,g or c,d-e,f,g.

Hope this helps
    Mike